Q. Can sexual intercourse during first trimester of pregnancy cause bleeding?

Dr. Poornima Kinila
and medically reviewed by Dr. K Shobana
This is a premium question & answer published on Dec 17, 2020 and last reviewed on: Jun 09, 2021

Currently, I am 13.5 weeks pregnant. This is my first pregnancy. During 12 weeks of pregnancy, I had slight bleeding after intercourse. We consulted a doctor and she told me that I had a threatened abortion. I had an ultrasound on that day and after two days. I had some blood works. The doctor told me that my baby looks good with a strong heartbeat. I do not have any bleeding after this incident. Is everything fine? We are holding off this big news without telling to our family as we are worried whether it will happen again. Is there a time period after having a threatened abortion to know that things are going fine? Can I have a miscarriage? We are afraid to share it with anyone as something will happen. I took Symbicort for asthma before the day of having bleeding.

# Hi,

yes, you can share this big news with your family members. Having intercourse can trigger bleeding and it is good to avoid it. Avoid stimulating breasts as it can cause further bleeding. As you have crossed 12 weeks, nothing will happen. But still, there is a remote chance to have a loss of pregnancy due to certain conditions. Do not be worried. Eat well and take rest. Relax your mind by doing yoga. Things will go good definitely and you will sail through pregnancy safely.

|