Q. I am bleeding during pregnancy. Could it be due to sexual intercourse?

Dr. Sanjay Kumar Bhattacharyya
This is a premium question & answer published on Nov 11, 2016 and last reviewed on: Nov 02, 2020

I am a 27 year old woman. I am 5 weeks 2 days pregnant as per USG report. Four days ago, I have had a little bleeding with pain. It was mucus type blood and dark brown colored. I went to a local gynecologist for seeking medical treatment. He advised me to take Duphaston 10 mg tablet twice a day. I was also taking Pregsafe 200 mg capsule at night. I have done USG a week ago. It was observed that gestational sac is regular at present and fetal node is not visualized. He advised me to do USG test again after 15 days and take complete rest. I am worried in this situation and would not want to lose my baby. I have also PSVT (sudden abnormal heart rate) and vaginal yeast infection. Yeast infection is not currently present, but it is recurrent. Please help me doctor.

#

• An ultrasonography is appropriate here, but you need another scan at 7 weeks or 2 weeks later to know whether you are having any viable fetus or not.
  • Nothing can be done now, except waiting. Continue all medications as before.

For further information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

Actually, the bleeding was stopped today. Could it be due to sexual intercourse or Duphaston?

#

• You cannot be 100% sure that the bleeding was due to sexual trauma. It could be coincidental also.
  • The point of concern here is the absence of fetal node, which always raises a query about the viability of the fetus.
  • Do not research over the medications so much. Duphaston (Dydrogesterone) is recently targeted and this does not mean we have stopped prescribing it. There is still a lack of documentation to tell Duphaston is harmful.
  • Please continue it along with Pregsafe (Progesterone) and do a repeat USG as advised previously.

I have a fever of 101 degrees Fahrenheit now. I have also back and leg pain. I am very depressed now.

#

• You need to visit a clinic for a clinical examination. You might need a few tests as fever could be due to a lot of reasons including dengue.

For further doubts consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

My wife is currently admitted in a nursing home due to bleeding and pain. Her fever is under control, although test result is yet to come. Please give some suggestions.

#

• There is a need for a clinical examination. If it the birth canal is open, she needs curettage. This means this pregnancy is no more viable.
  • Also, if she is having a negative blood group, she needs separate treatment. Please consult the treating doctor and take the treatment as advised.

|