Q. I am pregnant and found some blood spots. Does my ultrasound suggest miscarriage?

Dr. Sravanthi Nuthalapati

I have a positive UPT and my LMP is 31st March. I have an irregular period at 13th May and I found some blood spots. After that, I go for a TV ultrasound that shows no definite gestational sac, endometrial echo is central and normal in thickness and measures 0.6 cm. Before TV ultrasound, on 8th May, I checked my beta hCG and it is 178 and after 48 hours it is 247. Is this miscarriage or should I go for another ultrasound because after that I do not have bleeding or cramps or anything? Please guide.

Dr. Sravanthi Nuthalapati

Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

I have gone through the description you mentioned and understand your concern totally. But the details are a little confusing, it would have been good if you could give details with dates when beta hCG (human chorionic gonadotropin) was checked. I understand that scans were performed and the beta hCG test on 8th May is 178 and on 10th May it was 247. On 13th May you got the scan as you had a spotting, right?

See, as your previous cycles have been irregular, it is difficult to predict when you would have ovulated exactly. So we cannot go by your dates to calculate the duration of the pregnancy.

May I know when did the urine pregnancy test turn positive for the first time? It would be advisable to recheck your urine pregnancy test now again, as you had spotting, if the levels are falling then it would be suggestive of a miscarriage, and mostly this could be like a biochemical pregnancy, where pregnancy is detected only in the blood tests, but on the scan I cannot find the gestational sac development, which has ultimately got aborted. (As levels you mentioned last were pretty low).

Another possibility to be ruled out, more importantly, is ectopic pregnancy or pregnancy at some unknown location. To rule out all these, doing a serum beta hCG will clear your doubts.

Serum beta hCG level. Repeat ultrasound after checking the beta hCG value.

Report to your gynecologist if you have any sharp pain.

| 

This is an Ad. icliniq or icliniq doctors do not endorse the content in the ad.

I am bleeding during pregnancy. Should I discontinue Heparin injection?

Query: Hello doctor, I am eight weeks and six days pregnant and am currently on LMWH (Inj Innohep 40 mg) as tests prior to pregnancy indicated a positive ANA. I have a history of a previous mid-trimester miscarriage which was believed to be due to an incompetent cervix, and so have been on vaginal progest...  Read Full »

I am bleeding during pregnancy. Can this lead to miscarriage?

Query: Hello doctor, I am female, 20 years old, 5'2" and 45.3 kg. I am pregnant but during my ultrasound, there is no embryo and yolk sac. My uterus is seven weeks and three days having 3.1 mm. Seven days after the ultrasound I had bleeding but it was light, the color was dark red, brown or black and it w...  Read Full »

My beta hCG values are 5.73 and 5.26. Does it confirm pregnancy?

Query: Hi doctor,I am 38 years old. I did not get my last month period. After 15 days of missed period, my beta hCG value is 5.73. What is the chance of pregnancy? Do I have any issue? Please guide me.  Read Full »