Q. I bled within a few hours of testing positive for pregnancy. Why?

Dr. Muhammad Zubayer Alam

I had undergone a home pregnancy test, which was positive. After a few hours, I started to bleed. I have done a few more tests and still it showed two positive lines (one dark and one light in color). What is it? Am I pregnant or is it a miscarriage? Please reply.

#

I can understand your concern. According to your statement, you have been suffering from P/V bleeding with stomach cramps. You have already done a home pregnancy test which is positive. But after a few hours, P/V bleeding has started and then pregnancy test showed one dark and one light in color. Now your query is whether you are pregnant or it is an episode of miscarriage.

It is difficult to say without undergoing an ultrasound. You have not mentioned about your menstrual cycle including regular or irregular or last day of your last cycle.

But according to your description like abdominal cramps with vaginal bleeding may indicate the miscarriage. You should undergo an urgent ultrasound or TVS (transvaginal scan) to exclude the causes and then do as needful.

My periods have been very irregular. Sometimes it takes a break for 1 or 1.5 months. My last periods were between May and June. Cramps on the first two days remain unbearable. As it keeps breaking so I thought that this might be the reason however, suddenly I was facing a lot of itching on my head and the entire body. And I felt a lot of dryness and the body ache. I thought of going through a home pregnancy test and it was positive. I am also attaching the pictures of the tests done after when the bleeding started. The bleeding, in the beginning, was dark brown, and later, it was red but I had small finger-shaped lumps with the bleeding. Please can we get on a call to discuss this? I will need your guidance to proceed further.

#

According to your statement, I think you were pregnant, but you had a miscarriage. You had small finger-shaped lumps with the bleeding indicating a miscarriage which may be complete or incomplete. Some end product of conceptions may be present there. So you should undergo an urgent ultrasound to exclude complete or incomplete abortion. For incomplete abortion, D and C (dilation and curettage) will be needed as a further treatment protocols.

|