Q. Is it normal to bleed a lot for more than three days during the sixteenth week of pregnancy?

Dr. Radha Peruvemba Hariharan

I am 24-years-old female, and I am 16 weeks pregnant. I had slight bleeding six days ago. I immediately went to the hospital and checked for the baby's heartbeat, and it was fine. Then, I was examined with a speculum, which showed cervical erosion. After removing the speculum, I was bleeding a lot. They told me it is normal. It has been three days, but I am still bleeding.

Kindly help.

#

Did you have an ultrasound scan or only listen to fetal heartbeat when you went for the examination? If you had a scan, does it mention any intrauterine bleeding or subchorionic hematoma?

There should not be any bleeding after speculum examination. Since you are saying the bleeding was profuse after the tests, it is not a usual scenario. Only spotting may appear if it comes at all.

The active bleeding has stopped, and only brownish discharge is there, which means only collected blood clots are getting dissolved, and there is no further bleeding inside.

If the scan was not done on that day, I suggest you do the uterus and placenta ultrasound to rule out the possible cause for the bleeding. Take enough rest and do not strain.

Take care.

|