Q. My 6 weeks pregnant wife is bleeding dark clots. Is this a worrying issue?

Dr. Reetika Joshi

My wife is pregnant for 6+ weeks. She is bleeding (minimal) like a kind of blood clot (dark brown) from yesterday. We consulted a doctor and did a USG pelvis (TVS) ultrasound and not found the child's heartbeat yet inside the uterus. As per suggestions, they gave Prolution depot 500 mg injection and gave Susten 200 mg tablet to my wife for 15 days. They have told to come back after 15 days for a test and also suggested that if she has increased bleeding, then consult again. The bleeding has not yet stopped. Please suggest why it is happening and is there anything to worry about.

#

I fully understand your concern and will surely help you. I have gone through the scan report (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

After going through the details, I will request you to relax. They are giving you the right medicines, and the only thing you can do is relax, not get stressed out, and observe as much bed rest as possible. If bleeding does not reduce or stops, then do not wait for 15 days. Please consult your doctor on the phone as soon as possible. I hope that the bleeding will slowly reduce and then eventually stop.

If there is no improvement, then please contact me again. Also, I request you to share any previous pregnancy history, etc., for a better assessment.

Due to heavy flow, we went to the hospital, and they did the scan again and confirmed that it is an inevitable miscarriage. It was a sad moment for us, and we do not know why suddenly it had happened. Do you have any suggestions? Again when can we try, and how can we avoid this?

They have given tablet Misoprostol two tablets twice daily of 200 mg (total 400 mg) each orally for the next five days, and tablet Ciplox-TZ 500 mg for five days. This is the first time she gets pregnant and never took a pill also.

#

It is very sad to hear that. I saw the reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity). My request is that if both of you are working, please find time to undergo pre-pregnancy counseling. It requires a lot of preparation to plan a pregnancy, carry a healthy pregnancy, and then finally deliver a healthy baby.

You need to wait for four months minimum, in my opinion, before planning a baby. You must start with Folic acid, multivitamins, and, if required, iron and calcium too. You must keep a healthy lifestyle. Stay free from stress. You can contact me for pre-pregnancy counseling or any other place you wish to be. It is very important that you come out of this and start living a normal life.

|