Bleeding From Nose

What is the reason for frequent nose bleeds and patches of blood spots?

Query: Hello doctor, I have a few things and I am worried about that. I feel it could be connected. Firstly, I keep getting patches of blood spots on my body. They are not of huge in size, but still noticeable. I am also getting frequent nose bleeds for no apparent reason. I hardly ever got them before. A...  Read Full »

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The constellation of symptoms that you shared with us today are concerning for multiple conditions. The fact that you are having easy bruising and nose bleeding indicates that there might be deficiency of coagulation factors and or low platelet counts. The fatigue can be...  Read Full »

My 10-month-old daughter had blood in her nose after a fall. Should I be worried?

Query: Hi doctor, My 10 month old daughter had a fall from bed. She had little blood in her nose. Blood is just little and not dripping. Is it something to worry about?  Read Full »

Dr. Babu Lal Meena

Child Health Specialist, Family Physician, General Practitioner, Medical Gastroenterologist, Paediatrician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Yes, it is not good if she had blood. Although it looks like blood from nose, in case of trauma we need to rule out internal damage. We need to do CT head to look for any damage or internal bleeding in cranium. It will be a simple procedure, only NCCT - noncontrast CT sca...  Read Full »

Why did I get blood when I blew my nose?

Query: Hi doctor, For the past five days, I have been having quite a bit of blood come up in my mucus when I blow my nose. My sinuses are sore and puffy. Today, my right cheek and right side of my nose have gone numb and tingling. Kindly help me.  Read Full »

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. According to the history provided and image provided, it is blood stained discharge with mucus. Hence, the possibility of acute sinusitis or rhinitis is present. Your workup should be done as follow. Rhinoscopy nose examination, PNS x-ray (paranasal sinus), CBC (...  Read Full »

After a fall, nose started bleeding. Is it dangerous?

Query: Hi doctor, Two days ago my father fell on the road facing down. He is 71 years old. He got injured on knee, wrist and his nose started bleeding due to injury. I took him to a local doctor who prescribed a few medicines and gave him tetanus injection. I am attaching the prescription along with this f...  Read Full »

General Medicine Physician, General Practitioner, Internal Medicine Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have checked the pictures (attachments removed to protect patient identity). Bleeding from nose and clots below eye are dangerous signs of internal bleeding or hemorrhage in brain. I would suggest you to immediately carry out CT scan of head and neck region to...  Read Full »

How to treat bloody nose caused by Accutane?

Query: Hi doctor, I have been using Accutane for seven months. I am currently in the last two weeks of my last round of treatment. In the past one and a half weeks, I have been experiencing relatively bad headaches that have not gotten any worse. Yesterday, I experienced a severe nosebleed that lasted for ...  Read Full »

Dr. Bharat Patodiya

Family Physician, General Medicine Physician, General Practitioner, Internal Medicine Physician, Medical Oncologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Nosebleed is quite common with Isotretinoin. However, the symptom may resolve fast on discontinuation of the tablet. I suggest if you are planning a marathon in two days, then discontinue this tablet for a while. Also, get your blood pressure checked as it may also c...  Read Full »

What vitamin deficiency causes nosebleeds?

Query: Hello doctor, My mother is 68 years old, and two of her recent consecutive blood reports show very high vitamin B12 levels, over 1500. Her nose has bled for 3 to 4 times in the last six months. Last week, the bleeding was not stopping so she had to be admitted. She has undergone a valve replacement ...  Read Full »

Cardiologist, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Family Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The following can be the reasons for her nosebleed, which is also called as epistaxis. Is she on blood thinners? It can be a likely cause for epistaxis in her case. Hypertension can also be a contributory factor if present. She will need an ENT examination and test ac...  Read Full »

My son is 13 years old and has bleeding nose problem. Kindly advice.

Query: Hello doctor, My son is 13 years old and he has bleeding nose problem. Kindly advice.  Read Full »

Dr. Nilotpal Dutta

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Bleeding at this age should be evaluated thoroughly there may be a lot of possibilities like a JNA (juvenile nasopharyngeal angiofibromas), NPC ( nasopharyngeal carcinoma), nasal polyps hematological causes, etc. So an urgent diagnostic nasal endoscopy with a complete ...  Read Full »

I have blood in my mucus when I blow my nose. Why?

Query: Hello doctor,I have suffered from a problem at the back of my nose for at least 10 years. Sometimes I will get a build up of lots of mucus quite a lot (which I am guessing is from acid reflux which I suffer from) and have to clear my throat. I also get an irritating feeling, a bit tickly maybe, at t...  Read Full »

Allergy Specialist, General Practitioner, ENT Otolaryngologist, Family Physician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your symptoms do suggest like it is rhinosinusitis. It is a chronic problem, and the use of sprays for a small duration will not completely relieve you of the problem. Similar complaints Wil also be present due to acid reflux. I hope you are on proper medications to ...  Read Full »

I frequently get bleeding from the nose, but it does not create pain. What could it be?

Query: Hello doctor, I frequently get bleeding from the nose, but it does not create pain. But some times it flows from my nose automatically. What could it be?  Read Full »

Dr. Jennifer Schwartz, Md

Internal Medicine Physician, General Medicine Physician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Do you have any medical problems that we should know about? How old are you? Are you exposed to any environmental stimulants (irritating chemicals, etc.)? Most often, a bloody nose is not concerning, but it should be evaluated if it is happening regularly. How much b...  Read Full »

Will traveling through flight soon after nose cauterization cause bleeding?

Query: Hello doctor, I just had my nose cauterized for the second time a week back and have a flight booked in two days. I am worried that it is too soon to fly as flying triggered my nose bleeds. I can change my flight to stay longer so it can heal further. Not sure. Just do not want it to start bleeding...  Read Full »

Dr. Anay Kumar Gupta

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Nose bleed is a very common problem. It is treated with cautery which may need repeating a few times. Since you had it only a few days ago, it might be better to avoid flying for 3 to 4 weeks, if possible. Carry on using the ointment for one month and then have yourself...  Read Full »