Bleeding From Nose

What causes on and off nosebleeds?

Query: Hi Doctor, I have a nose bleed time to time, and it happens sometimes when I am under stress or pressure. Sometimes when am relaxed it happens too. It started first like 5yrs ago. Then stopped not until recently when I started getting stressed. I have done a CT scan already but awaiting result. I ...  Read Full »

Dr. Sandeep Shrestha

Answer: Hello, Nose bleeding (Epistaxis) can occur because of many reason like trauma, deviated nasal septum, blood disorder, hypertension, liver disease and idiopathic (many times causes are not clear). Sometime Epistaxis can occur during hot summer or in stress or also in cold dry environment. One thin...  Read Full »

How to treat nosebleed that occurred while sleeping?

Query: Nosebleeding. My mother bled her nose while sleeping. As a first aid, we told her to lean forward and press her nose while brrathing through her mouth. Should we worry?  Read Full »

Dr. B Vageesh Padiyar

Answer: Hi! The most probable cause of this particular bleed is accelerated hypertension. Epistaxis or nasal bleeds are classified into anterior or posterior (front or back part of the nose) based on the region from where they bleed. In your case, I would definitely consider posterior epistaxis as typically...  Read Full »

What is the reason for getting nose bleed?

Query: Hello doctor, Four days ago I had an excessive nose bleed (from both nostrils) for about 2 hours which that then started coming from my mouth. So I finally decided to go to the ER which the bleeding was not bad at that point and I got my blood platelets checked which came out fine so I was just gi...  Read Full »

Dr. B Vageesh Padiyar

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The most probable cause of this particular bleed is accelerated hypertension. Epistaxis or nasal bleeds are classified into anterior or posterior (front or back part of the nose) based on the region from where they bleed. In your case, I would definitely consider po...  Read Full »

I noticed blood in my dad's nose after a fall. What to do?

Query: Hi doctor, My dad met with a fall in the bathroom today and bled from the right side of his nose. The bleeding stopped after 2 minutes, but I noticed that the nose contains a few drops of blood. I took him to the ER and had an x-ray. But, my doctor advised us to go home and have a review after a wee...  Read Full »

Allergy Specialist, General Practitioner, ENT Otolaryngologist, Family Physician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. From the x-ray that you shared (attachment removed to protect patient identity), I cannot make out any nasal bone fracture. The bleeding is due to injury to the nose. If there is no active bleeding and no fracture detectable in the x-ray, then we manage the same conser...  Read Full »

I have recurring nosebleeds for over two months now. Please help.

Query: I have reoccurring nosebleeds for over 2 months now, even before the pandemic. I had a large blood clot about 5-6 inches. A week or two after this instance I saw a dry blood clot again about 3 inches in length. When I had an xray before the pandemic, the doctor said it was sinusitis but after the me...  Read Full »

Dr. B Vageesh Padiyar

Answer: Hi! We need to first ascertain the cause of the nasal bleed so that the problem is treated in a specific manner. There can be various reasons why your having nasal bleeds in your age group. 1. Accelerated hypertension is one cause which is often missed out - Its always better to get your blood pr...  Read Full »

What causes frequent nose bleeding in small kids?

Query: Hi doctor, My daughter who is 4 years old had a frequent nosebleed in her left nose. First was last Thursday, then the second was three days later, and today also on her left nostril. I do not know if she pricked her nose, but when I asked her she said yes. I am a bit worried since it has been thre...  Read Full »

Dr. B Vageesh Padiyar

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The most common reason for nose bleeds in children of this age group is 1. Frequent nose picking: We need to ascertain the cause of the nasal bleeds as the most common cause is secondary to dry nose and crusting which in turn causes irritation. Dry nose can be treated ...  Read Full »

How to manage nose bleeding in patient with valve replacement?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 60-year-old female having a complaint of minor nose bleeding and headache for the last five days. I have undergone valve replacement therapy a few years ago, and tablet Acitrom 2 OD going on. My recent PT value - 17.40, INR - 1.52. As we do not have access to our doctor, what...  Read Full »

Dr. Isaac Gana

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Sorry to hear about your experience. Did you have a history of nose bleed long before the surgery? Or did the bleeding start after you started taking Ecosprin? Have you noticed bruising in any part of your body alongside the nasal bleed? Conditions like nasal polyps...  Read Full »

Please suggest treatment for nosebleed.

Query: Hi doctor, My 3 year old daughter has had three nosebleeds in about 3 hours. During the nosebleeds, she said her cheek bone area close to her nose hurts. What to do?  Read Full »

Dr. Arti Sharma

Paediatrician, General Practitioner, Child Health Specialist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. A few common causes of nasal bleeding are dry air, picking of the nose, rubbing, allergies, trauma to the head or nose and nose blowing. In your history I do not see any history suggestive of trauma or fall. Dry air or nasal picking is a possible cause. When a child ...  Read Full »

Can ADHD result from banging head against the wall?

Query: Hi doctor, I am not living together with my husband and we have a six year old boy. My child is living with my husband only. He used to meet me for some time and tell all the information what he had done. Before four years, when he was 2 years old, he said that, my husband banged my son's head five ...  Read Full »

Dr. Srinivas Gunda

Child Health Specialist, Paediatrician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. First of all, let me tell you that you are doing a great job managing a kid with ADHD along with some family issues what you had mentioned. Regarding the head banging episode, which you had mentioned is two years back when he was around two years old. A two year old kid r...  Read Full »

How do I stop frequent nose bleeds?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 27-year-old female. This query is all about my frequent nose bleeding. It started when I was in grade school, I got nose bleed when it is very hot, or when the air is dry and it only happens once a month or once every two months. For the past three months, I got frequent noseb...  Read Full »

Dr. Mahendra Thakre

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I hope you are doing well. I understand your concern. I assure you that you need not be worried. Epistaxis or nasal bleeding is a very common condition and has been reported to occur in up to 60 percent of the general population. Most nosebleeds are not serious and can...  Read Full »