Q. Can a high BP cause the nose to bleed?

Dr. Ashish Jayanand Chandwadkar

My mom is 54 years old. She had a nosebleed two days ago that lasted five to seven minutes. Her BP usually never crosses 106/66, but after the nosebleed, her BP is usually 148/99. Since the day of her nosebleed, she is feeling a pressure in her nose and eyes. I wonder if it was a sudden high blood pressure of something else. I think it might be due to the weather too since we live in a country that is too hot. But, I still wonder why the BP is high and why does she feel a pressure. The doctor said her CBC and sugar reports are normal too. She is not over weight and has not suffered from any major disease. She had an eye cataract operation about 15 years back.

#

• A nosebleed can be due to many causes and the most common is a local injury. But, in your case, it seems like the high blood pressure (BP) itself is causing the nosebleed. I recommend you check her BP at different times of the day and get an average. If it is still high, she is said to be stage 1 hypertensive.
  • Weight is not the only factor that contributes to a high BP. Many other factors like stress, hormonal surges, and anxiety can contribute to a high BP. Even in normal weight individuals sometimes bad lipids are high in level.
  • So, I suggest you get her ECG (electrocardiogram), lipid profile, TSH (thyroid stimulating hormone), and serum creatinine checked to rule out other pathologies.

Do follow up with the reports. Take care. Have a nice day.

For more information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

|