Q. Whenever I blow my nose, I have nosebleeds. What can I do?

Dr. Syed Tehmid
This is a premium question & answer published on Apr 13, 2020 and last reviewed on: Mar 25, 2021

Before five days, I had a thick mucus in my nose. Due to carving of my nose, I had a wound without nosebleeds. I used Vaseline and it got stopped on the next day. But I had some mucus in my nose. They were yellowish sticky and odorous. When I tried to blow my nose, I had some bleeding again. I used Rinopanteina while having bleeding. What to do?

#

Please mention whether the discharge is unilateral or bilateral. Please mention whether you have any nasal blockage or any obstruction. Please mention whether you have a cold, sneezing, and tenderness in the nose. Please mention whether your sense of smell is normal.

Sometimes I have sneezing and a stuffy nose. I smell normal.

#

You seem to have acute rhinosinusitis. It causes nasal discharge. It occurs due to inflammation of the mucosa and it can cause nasal bleeds. You can take antibiotics to have some relief. You can take Amoxyclav 625 mg (Amoxicillin with Clavulanic acid) twice a day after meals. You can take an antihistamine Allegra 180 mg (Fexofenadine hydrochloride) once a day at bedtime. You can try using nasal douching with nasal saline washes. You can use Nasowash twice a day. If there is a wound, you can apply Mupirocin ointment twice a day. If you have bleeding again, then you can use topical decongestant drops like Xylometazoline 0.02%. Do not pick your nose again and again. Avoid blowing your nose as it causes recurrent bleeding.

|