Q. Why do I get bleeding from the nose frequently?

Dr. Jennifer Schwartz, Md

I frequently get bleeding from the nose, but it does not create pain. But some times it flows from my nose automatically. What could it be?

#

Do you have any medical problems that we should know about? How old are you? Are you exposed to any environmental stimulants (irritating chemicals, etc.)? Most often, a bloody nose is not concerning, but it should be evaluated if it is happening regularly. How much blood is coming out? A teaspoon? Is it always one nostril?

You can certainly start using a saline nasal spray three to four times a day in each nostril. You can also put some Vaseline in each nose before you go to sleep at night. However, if there are any other medical problems or anything concerning in your history, as I mentioned above, then you should be evaluated in person.

You may need to see an ear, nose, and throat (E.N.T) doctor who can take a look in your nose and see if any blood vessels are prominent and can be treated with cautery. Or you may need to see your general medical doctor and have some blood work done, including a full blood count and platelet levels. Please let me know your answers to my questions, and hopefully, I can direct you further.

|