Q. Why do I get frequent nose bleed?

Dr. Mahendra Thakre

I am a 27-year-old female. This query is all about my frequent nose bleeding. It started when I was in grade school, I got nose bleed when it is very hot, or when the air is dry and it only happens once a month or once every two months.

For the past three months, I got frequent nosebleed for two to four times a week. I am doing the basic list to prevent it such as, lean a bit forward, pinch the nose, put ice packs, and use petroleum jelly. But the thing is, it is stressing me out. I panic when I see blood, I have asthma as well and I do not think that petroleum jelly can help me with it.

I am taking vitamin C (500 mg) per day, and I use Seretide 250 (Diskus) for my asthma. Please help.

#

I hope you are doing well. I understand your concern. I assure you that you need not be worried.

Epistaxis or nasal bleeding is a very common condition and has been reported to occur in up to 60 percent of the general population. Most nosebleeds are not serious and can be handled easily as you have mentioned. Most will stop on their own or with simple first aid actions.

Common causes of epistaxis are local causes such as chronic sinusitis, nose picking, foreign bodies, intranasal neoplasm or polyps, irritants (e.g., cigarette smoke), medications (e.g., topical corticosteroids), rhinitis, septal deviation, etc.

If the nose bleed is related to an injury, you should be assisted in finding medical assistance urgently. Some people may be taking medications that make them more prone to bleeding. These people should also seek care urgently.

Signs and symptoms include bleeding from one or both nostrils, bleeding in the back of the throat, causing the victim to vomit blood.

First Aid Interventions:

Sit upright and lean forward.

Spit out blood that collects in the back of the throat or mouth.

Pinch the nose firmly. Use your thumb and index finger to pinch your nostrils shut. Breathe through your mouth. Continue to pinch for 5 to 10 minutes.

Local drops such as Oxymetazoline or Phenylephrine solution can be helpful.

To prevent re-bleeding, do not pick or blow your nose and do not bend down for several hours after the bleeding episode. During this time remember to keep your head higher than the level of your heart.

|