Q. Why do my 4-year-old daughter gets frequent nose bleeding only from her left nostril?

Dr. B Vageesh Padiyar

My daughter who is 4 years old had a frequent nosebleed in her left nose. First was last Thursday, then the second was three days later, and today also on her left nostril. I do not know if she pricked her nose, but when I asked her she said yes. I am a bit worried since it has been three times already, but she gets bleeding only on her left nostril. PIease advise me on whether I really need to have it check physically by an ENT because I am afraid of the COVID 19 situation.

#

The most common reason for nose bleeds in children of this age group is

1. Frequent nose picking: We need to ascertain the cause of the nasal bleeds as the most common cause is secondary to dry nose and crusting which in turn causes irritation. Dry nose can be treated by using saline nasal drops four drops six times a day to ensure that the child's nasal mucosa is kept moist and does not dry up. In addition, I would also recommend the child not to get directly exposed to AC / fan as it can also dry up the nasal mucosa often.

2. Adenoid hypertrophy: Usually the adenoids increase in size and they can also be a reason for recurrent nasal bleeds. The child can be put on Mometasone nasal spray two puffs two times a day for the next coming three weeks.

3. Infection in the nose: This can also be another cause of recurrent crusting and inflammation in the nose which results in nasal bleeds.

You can give her syrup Augmentin (Amoxicillin and Clavulanic acid) 228.5 mg 4ml three times a day after food for the next one week. It is better to treat all three possibilities for long term relief from the symptoms. All three aspects are extremely common and there is nothing that you need to worry about as it is very common for children to present with such a problem.

|