Q. What could be the reason for sudden bleeding while brushing my teeth?

Dr. Beryl Fredrick

The morning after I woke up, I spit before brushing. Today morning I found brown blood. Please let me know what the issue is. This is the first time I saw like this.

#

I understand your concern.

Gum bleeding and blood in morning spit indicate a gum condition called gingivitis. Gingivitis is the inflammation of the gums caused due to constant irritation by tartar or calculus (hardened yellow deposits on the tooth). Food deposits or plaque that settles on the tooth gets calcified in the long run and becomes hardened calculus deposits. As a result, constantly irritated gums become weak and bleed when we brush or in the morning after waking up. An ultrasonic scaler instrument does a professional scaling and polishing procedure to remove that calculus. Once removed, the gums take a day to heal, and the gum bleeding will stop the next morning.

It would be helpful to visit your dentist and get this procedure done. This procedure can be done once in six months if required. Although we do a proper brushing every day, there are certain spots between teeth where the bristles fail to reach. Hence, professional tooth cleaning is always advised once in a while. Specific brushing techniques can be followed to prevent calculus accumulation. Get to know that from your dentist, and please do follow them.

Kind regards.

|