Q. I get recurrent pus-filled blisters on arms leaving pigmented marks. Please suggest solution.

Dr. Subhash Kashyap

I seem to get lesions or blisters maybe on my arms. They are usually round with one pus-filled bump and at times it could be many small ones. They rarely itch, burn or anything. They crust over and peel and leave dark acne-like marks on my arms it is so annoying because I am embarrassed by the marks on my arms. I always get at least one of them per month.

#

I saw the photo you sent. (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

As you say there is pus formation and you are getting it recurrently almost every month. I like to know a few things before finalizing my diagnosis and treatment.

Is there any pain? If pus discharge how much? Do you get them at the same site always or different or in any particular fashion like linear? Are you a diabetic? Since when are you having them any fever associated?

| 

No pain, I never see any discharge. They are usually on different parts of my arms never at the same spot. I am not diabetic and I do not have any fevers.

#

It is recurrent herpes simplex.

Take tablet Acyclovir 400 mg thrice daily for five days. Take ample fluids. Mupirocin cream twice daily for five days. Elovera moisturizing cream once or twice. They can be recurrent and occur from reactivation of herpes simplex virus in our nerve ganglion. Recurrence depends and varies upon person to person. In fast recurrence sometime continuous prophylaxis has to be given.

During the next episode start treatment as soon as they start or you feel tingling at any site in the arm. With this treatment recurrences also diminish and less severe. It occurs only in susceptible people. And spread by scratch or friction on raw skin.

Keep the body emolliated. Use an emollient shower gel like Dove shower gel.

Follow up after 7 days with history and how much improvement with this treatment.

|