Q. How can nasal blockage with mucus be treated?

Dr. Albana Greca
Published on Mar 16, 2019

I have asthma but not a lot. It comes and goes. I take Flexotide inhaler as a preventer. I also have used Detacartil antibiotic for chest congestion at the start of last month. Since the last two weeks, I have severe nasal congestion. I want to ENT specialist today and he says that I have nasal polyps. He will do the endoscopy in two days.

My question is why I have nose blockage with mucus, he should have treated the mucus and not the polyps. He has adviced the medicine Telfast D tablet half in the morning and a half in the evening. Please suggest what to do.

Dr. Albana Greca

Family Physician General Practitioner
#

Nasal congestion is aggravated by polyps as they cause blocked nasal pathways mechanically. Endoscopy is necessary to understand at what extent the polyps are enlarged to decide for the best treatment strategy. Mucus is trapped and should be on its way to get cleared. But polyps are making it difficult. So continue medication as prescribed and run endoscopy as suggested.

Is surgery needed for blocked nose and enlargement of nasal bone?

Query: Hi doctor, My friend has been diagnosed with acute sinusitis. He underwent CT scan of the sinuses and was recommended surgery due to blocked nose and enlargement of the nasal bone. Please recommend if surgery can be avoided. I have attached his CT scan report.  Read Full >>

Dr. Divakara P

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Thanks for posting your query. I have seen the attached reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Surgery is not absolutely essential. A three weeks course of antibiotics along with nasal decongestants can be tried. Based on the relief from symptoms, the f...  Read Full

Is hearing the breathing sounds while exhaling normal?

Query: Hi doctor, I have a small question about exhaling breath sounds. I always listen to my body and make sure everything is as it should. I have mild ETD, which makes my nose a little stuffy when in dry environments or the humidity is low. Two weeks ago, I was to hiatal hernia surgery. They did check my...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. We are here to help you. When you listen silently, you can hear the exhalation sound, and that is absolutely normal. A few people have that sound in excess, and that can happen due to nasal polyps, obesity, and breathing disorders. So, if you have any of the above, then ...  Read Full

Which natural remedy can be used to cure chronic nasal congestion?

Query: Hello doctor, I have a runny nose, chronic nasal congestion, chills when cold, sneezing triggered by scents, cat, stress, cold, cigarette smoke and cleaning products. An occasional sore throat, warm body temperature, and clear nasal drip. This has been going on for over six months. Prescribed antib...  Read Full >>

Dr. Arul Amuthan
Pharmacologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. For your issue, take turmeric tablets two in the morning and two at night or turmeric powder (2 gm) morning and 2 gm evening after food. Take long pepper powder 1 gm. Mix this with cow milk and boil, then drink it. Daily two times this has to be done or one gram of long...  Read Full

Ask a General Practitioner Now