Q. How to treat headache post brain clot?

Dr. Aida Quka

My father has brain clot problem and he was admitted to a hospital for eight days and now discharged. Physically his body is working properly but sometimes he is having a painful headache and most of the time he is taking a long sleep and his memory is affected due to the clotting. Yesterday his PT INR ratio was 7.5. The doctor prescribed Acitrome, Aspirin, and Glycerol. The doctor is saying he will recover. So, please suggest us what should we do for his painful headache?

#

I reviewed your father's tests (attachment removed to protect patient identity) and would explain that he has suffered a venous infarct of the brain, associated with hemorrhagic transformation. A headache is quite common and it will need a long time to recover (weeks). Painkillers and Mannitol perfusions will help against the pain.

The most concerning thing is the blood thinner which should be adjusted properly, considering the high INR levels, indicating an overdose.

A follow up with brain CT scan is necessary to monitor for possible progression of the bleeding. It is important to monitor his blood pressure too. Hope to have been helpful.

For more information consult a neurologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/neurologist

What should we do to monitor his blood pressure? Is this problem serious or not?

#

Blood pressure values should be measured frequently during the day in order to be sure that his blood pressure values are not high.

This can be done manually with a blood pressure machine or by a monitor, which measures his heart rate and blood pressure values frequently during the day.

His medical condition remains still critical and it is necessary to repeat INR test and brain CT scan. If you have any other questions please feel free to ask me again.

|