Q. Bleeding heavily with clots. Is this a sign of early miscarriage?

This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 03, 2016 and last reviewed on: Mar 18, 2020

When I had sex with my boyfriend last time, neither I had started my new pack of birth control nor used a condom. I started a new pack around one and a half to two weeks later. But, last week, I started what seemed to be period about a week early. The flow has been a lot heavier, I am going through tampons like crazy and there are a lot of large clots. Further, the blood is bright red. I am having the worst cramps I have ever had in my life and it has been going on for 10 days now. Is there any chance that it is an early miscarriage? This is so abnormal for me. I cannot think of anything else that would cause these symptoms. I do not know if it matters, but I have PCOS. I have never experienced this since I am regularly taking birth control.

#

• There is all possibility that this may have been an early miscarriage as you were not protected when you had sex.
  • Hence, it is important that you get the serum beta hCG test (human chorionic gonadotropin) done to check the hCG levels and rule out pregnancy anyhow.
  • Also, get an ultrasound pelvis done to check for the endometrial thickness, which shall give an idea with regards to any hormonal imbalance if it is not a miscarriage.
  • Such heavy bleeds are uncommon when one is on a birth control.

For further information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

|