Q. I got periods with blood clots. Is it a sign of miscarriage?

Dr. Pooja Pardhi
Published on Mar 23, 2016 and last reviewed on: Nov 27, 2019

I was due for my periods on 8th, but did not get till 16th. So, I went for pregnancy test which came out negative. On 17th, I got my periods with blood clots and crampy stomach pain which was not usual for me. Was it a miscarriage? If yes, what may be the reason?

Dr. Pooja Pardhi

#

I have gone through your query and can understand your health concern.

As per your query, the pregnancy test was negative. So, no need to worry. It is not a miscarriage.

To be on a safer side and to confirm that it is not miscarriage, I suggest you to check your serum beta-hCG (human chorionic gonadotropin) level. High levels confirm pregnancy. You can do this test if you are in doubt.

Menstruation can be delayed due to many factors. Such as hormonal imbalance and stress can delay menses.

Sometimes, delayed menses can cause heavy bleeding. I think your case too the same.

If there is heavy bleeding and you feel sick and dizzy, then check your hemoglobin level.

If the menses continues for more number of days, then consult a gynecologist.

For more clarifications consult a general practitioner online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/general-practitioner

| 

Thanks for your reply. In the past, I never had delayed periods with such type of blood lumps. Moreover, I had only the home pregnancy test and not the actual one at laboratory. Is there anything to worry? Should I go for serum beta-hCG level test?

Dr. Pooja Pardhi

#

• Yes, you should check your serum beta-hCG level. It will confirm whether it was a pregnancy or not.
  • This hormone remains elevated for many days in the body. If it comes positive then you should consult a gynecologist as early as possible.

Revert back after the tests to a general practitioner online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/general-practitioner

| 

My beta hCG values are 5.73 and 5.26. Does it confirm pregnancy?

Query: Hi doctor,I am 38 years old. I did not get my last month period. After 15 days of missed period, my beta hCG value is 5.73. What is the chance of pregnancy? Do I have any issue? Please guide me.  Read Full »

Why is my hair thinning and losing volume after delivery?

Query: Hello doctor, After delivery, my hair is thinning in the front part and lost my volume. Could you please suggest any tablets to regain density?  Read Full »

Delayed period after abortion. Please help.

Query: Hello doctor, My wife is 23 years old. Two months back she had abortion. After abortion she is taking Folic acid and Ecosprin 75. Last month her period lasted for around 14 days and then doctor gave her Sandoz medication. This month her period date already has passed far off but still she is not hav...  Read Full »

Ask a General Practitioner Now