Get E-Book on COVID-19

Q. I got periods with blood clots. Is it a sign of miscarriage?

Answered by
Dr. Pooja Pardhi
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on Mar 23, 2016 and last reviewed on: Nov 27, 2019

Hi doctor,

I was due for my periods on 8th, but did not get till 16th. So, I went for pregnancy test which came out negative. On 17th, I got my periods with blood clots and crampy stomach pain which was not usual for me. Was it a miscarriage? If yes, what may be the reason?

Dr. Pooja Pardhi

General Medicine Internal Medicine


Welcome to

I have gone through your query and can understand your health concern.

As per your query, the pregnancy test was negative. So, no need to worry. It is not a miscarriage.

To be on a safer side and to confirm that it is not miscarriage, I suggest you to check your serum beta-hCG (human chorionic gonadotropin) level. High levels confirm pregnancy. You can do this test if you are in doubt.

Menstruation can be delayed due to many factors. Such as hormonal imbalance and stress can delay menses.

Sometimes, delayed menses can cause heavy bleeding. I think your case too the same.

If there is heavy bleeding and you feel sick and dizzy, then check your hemoglobin level.

If the menses continues for more number of days, then consult a gynecologist.

For more clarifications consult a general practitioner online -->

Was this answer helpful?


Hi doctor,

Thanks for your reply. In the past, I never had delayed periods with such type of blood lumps. Moreover, I had only the home pregnancy test and not the actual one at laboratory. Is there anything to worry? Should I go for serum beta-hCG level test?

Dr. Pooja Pardhi

General Medicine Internal Medicine


Welcome back to

  • Yes, you should check your serum beta-hCG level. It will confirm whether it was a pregnancy or not.
  • This hormone remains elevated for many days in the body. If it comes positive then you should consult a gynecologist as early as possible.

Revert back after the tests to a general practitioner online -->

Was this answer helpful?


Related Questions:
Could delayed periods be a sign of early onset of menopause?
The beta hCG levels of my wife are very high.Does this signify a healthy pregnancy?
Why are my periods delayed after taking the I-pill?
Consult by PhoneConsult by Phone Video ChatVideo Chat
Also Read Answers From:

Comprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Related Questions & Answers

My beta hCG values are 5.73 and 5.26. Does it confirm pregnancy?

Query: Hi doctor,I am 38 years old. I did not get my last month period. After 15 days of missed period, my beta hCG value is 5.73. What is the chance of pregnancy? Do I have any issue? Please guide me.  Read Full »

Why is my hair thinning and losing volume after delivery?

Query: Hello doctor, After delivery, my hair is thinning in the front part and lost my volume. Could you please suggest any tablets to regain density?  Read Full »

Delayed period after abortion. Please help.

Query: Hello doctor, My wife is 23 years old. Two months back she had abortion. After abortion she is taking Folic acid and Ecosprin 75. Last month her period lasted for around 14 days and then doctor gave her Sandoz medication. This month her period date already has passed far off but still she is not hav...  Read Full »

Also Read

Crohn's Disease
Crohn's disease causes inflammation of the digestive tract, which results in symptoms like severe diarrhea, stomach pain...  Read more»
I was diagnosed with Celiac disease a year back. Can you suggest any medicine?
Having celiac fromnlast 10 year dignosis recently ayear ago since then i am gluten free still cant absorb food feeling w...  Read more»
My head is shivering from 20 days, and it feels like head trauma. What is the cause?
Hello sir, My head is shivering like anything , feeling like trauma is head. And its start anytime in a day and when s...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask a General Practitioner Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: All health Q&As published on this website is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek the advice from your physician or other qualified health-care providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website.