Q. Is my bleeding stool due to an ulcer or piles?

Dr. Utkarsh Sharma
and medically reviewed by Dr. Infanteena Marily

I am having a lot of bleeding when I defecate, and it gives me body weakness for the past week. I took capsule Amoxicillin, but it did not stop it. I do not know if it is a sign of pile or ulcer because I got cramps.

#

I understand your concern and will help you with it.

If it is a splash of fresh blood, you will probably suffer from hemorrhoids (piles).

A bleeding ulcer will not cause you to bleed fresh blood, and the stool will be black in that case.

Is there any bulging in the anus? If yes, then it means the hemorrhoid is external.

Do not worry. Around 75 percent of people suffer from hemorrhoids at some point in life. But, most of the time, it just appears worse than it is.

Early hemorrhoids (initial grade) can be treated by healthy bowel habits and a healthy diet.

It would be best if you get rid of constipation and maintain a healthy bowel habit.

Do not strain. Always respond to nature's call.

Do not sit in the toilet for long hours.

Increase dietary fiber in your meals if you are constipated. The soluble fiber in a banana, papaya, mango will help.

Take a sitz bath if your hemorrhoid is external and painful. If needed, watch online videos and get to know them.

I suggest an ointment (like shield ointment) containing Phenylephrine, Allantoin, Hydrocortisone 30 minutes before a bowel movement. It will reduce pain and swelling.

Walk for atleast 30 minutes regularly, and it will help.

Get a CBC (complete blood count) done to check hemoglobin levels.

I hope this will help. Take care and all the best.

Complete blood count.

Hemorrhoids.

If conservative treatment does not help.

|