Q. Kindly review my biopsy reports of the ileum and colon, and give your opinion on my hemorrhoids.

Dr. Sandeep V Nair

I am 29-years-old male, and I am diagnosed with mild myotonic dystrophy type 2 in the past, but I do not have any symptoms. Furthermore, I was diagnosed with a small rare borderline malignancy called "superficial CD34 fibroblastic tumor" on my left arm four months ago. I had wide excision, and so far, I am good. I also had a total thyroidectomy seven years ago, and I am taking Levothyroxine 150 mg every day, and my thyroid levels are normal.

However, three months ago, I started having loose stools, and sometimes I could notice a bit of blood on the toilet paper. Last week I had a colonoscopy. They found some small hemorrhoids but no polyp or cancer. They got samples from my terminal ileum and colon for a biopsy. The biopsy results came back, but my doctor is not in the office, so I am not sure how serious it is.

I have attached the reports. Kindly review my report and give your opinion.

Thanks.

#

The biopsy reports do not suggest lymphoma (attachments removed to protect the patient’s identity). They have done a test called immunohistochemistry, in which they found the cells were negative for INSM 1 (Insulinoma-associated protein 1), which is a marker for a neuroendocrine tumor.

This shows that the lymphoid aggregates are composed of B and T lymphocytes due to reactive hyperplasia seen in infections. It is just a normal response of the immune system against invading microbes.

Please do not worry as it is not lymphoma.

I hope the doctor would have ordered a stool test. What was the result?

Thank you for your answer.

They still have not ordered a stool test for me. After reviewing my report, my doctor said it appears to be benign, and she will discuss it with the doctor who did the colonoscopy to get her review on lymphoid aggregates. And then I might have a follow-up.

What type of infection could I have? Could a food disorder cause something like that?

Thank you again for your detailed answer.

#

As you have chronic diarrhea, it is likely to be an inflammatory bowel disease or infection. In such cases, the infections are caused by bacteria like yersinia, viral infections, or even protozoal infections. The stool test might give a clue.

It is likely to be a food-borne infection. I suggest you discuss it with your treating gastroenterologist.

|