Q. My stool is often covered with bright red blood, and I feel fatigued. Why?

Dr. Abdullah Sultan
This is a premium question & answer published on Apr 28, 2020 and last reviewed on: Apr 01, 2021

I am 23 years old with a weight of 77 kilograms and a height of six feet. Before 40 days, I saw some blood coming out while passing stools. After that, I saw them for the next two days and then my problem went away. Before a week, I noticed some small amount of blood again in my stool. Yesterday night, I saw my stool covered with bright red blood. I am constantly noticing mucus or jelly-type substance in my stool. I am worried about the dark grey liquid seen often in my stool. I feel fatigued but I do not have any pain anywhere in my body. I do not have any pain even while passing stools. But my urge to poop has increased lately.

#

You seem to have hemorrhoids that cause blood in stools. Fatigue occurs due to loss of blood causing anemia. I suggest you consult a surgeon for having a physical examination to confirm the diagnosis. I suggest you do CBC (complete blood count) to check your hemoglobin levels and after confirming the diagnosis, you can treat it. You need to take a high fiber diet with oral laxatives.

|