Q. What could be the reason for recurrent blood in stool and right-sided stomach pain?

Dr. Kapil Gupta
This is a premium question & answer published on Apr 29, 2020 and last reviewed on: May 11, 2020

I would like to know the reason for pain in the stomach at the right side and blood in the stool. Once I had blood in stool previously and used homeopathy medicine to stop that, but it recurred after five days.

#

Stomach pain on the right side can occur due to a variety of reasons like stomach infection, appendicitis, infection in your intestine, and problems in your kidneys or the ureters (a tube that connects your kidneys to your urinary bladder).

Stomach pain with blood in stools is something to worry about. The cause for it can be acute infectious gastroenteritis, inflammatory bowel disease, or ulcer in your gastrointestinal tract.

To diagnose all of these, I need to ask you some questions. Do you have any fever? Do you have weight loss? How is the appetite? Is the blood in stools fresh blood or is it brownish red? Do you have any history of piles? Are the stools hard? Do you have any diarrhea? Does the stomach pain has any relation to food intake i.e. does it get relieved by eating food or does it increase on eating food?

Once you answer these questions, I would suggest what tests to be get done and how to treat the disease.

No, I have no history of piles. Blood is sometimes fresh with liquid stool and sometimes maroon and yes, when I eat something then my stomach hurts a little. It never happened to me before and it started three days ago only. The stool is normal in the morning, but after eating it becomes liquid with blood. I have no weight loss and I have a fever for 10 days but it was before all these. I am suffering from blood in stools for the past six months. Is it piles? I have attached the picture.

#

I have reviewed the image that you have sent. (attachment removed to protect patient identity). It does look like external hemorrhoid (piles). I would suggest you to do the following things:

Eat high-fiber foods. Eat more fruits, vegetables and whole grains. Doing so softens the stool and increases its bulk, which will help you avoid the straining that can worsen the symptoms of existing hemorrhoids. Add fiber to your diet slowly to avoid problems with gas.

Use topical treatments. Apply an over-the-counter hemorrhoid cream or suppository containing Hydrocortisone, or use pads containing witch hazel or a numbing agent. You can use Toplap gel and apply it on the anal area in the morning and evening.

Soak regularly in a warm bath or sitz bath. Soak your anal area in plain warm water for 10 to 15 minutes two to three times a day. You can do this by pouring lukewarm water in a huge bowel and pouring some Betadine solution in it and sitting as you sit in an Indian toilet over it making sure that your anal area is in contact with the water for two to three minutes.

Take oral pain relievers. You can use Acetaminophen, Aspirin or Ibuprofen temporarily to help relieve your discomfort. I would suggest you also to start iron tablets that will help your body to make more hemoglobin. You can take tablet Autrin once daily in the morning after food.

I would recommend you to see a general surgeon who will do a PR examination (per rectal examination) to see the severity of piles and also he would advise if you need a colonoscopy which is an investigation to see an image of your rectum and large intestines to delineate where exactly is the blood coming from. If you are scared to go to a hospital because of COVID and you think that the bleeding is not that much you can try the things that I have advised and see if it helps. If it does not please visit a hospital.

|