Q. Is it normal to get blood in urine before getting periods?

Dr. Aman Gupta

I am 22 years old. I have been observing that since last 3-4 period cycles, I have been having blood in urine. Just an hour before periods then it is normal once I get my period and the urine is again clear. Recently, I got my period and an hour back I urinated with little blood but the last few drops after I was done wer really red. I have lower back pain that comes and goes and sometimes when I walk I get pain in left buttock. 10 days back I had UTI which is treated now. 10 days back I also had a really bad pain in lower abdomen and I placed a hot water bag on it and the pain was gone. I will be going for a scan and urine test after my periods are over.

I had posted this query on a health app and was told by the doctor that I may have bladder endometrosis. It has terrified me now. It is so scary q nd needs surgery. I am healthy, do yoga and never smoked nor am I sexually active. I wanted to get a second opinion whether I could have this. I Can understand that a doctor cannot give an opinion till the reports are out. And I still have to wait for 3-4 days till my periods are over to go fr the test. But for my peace of mind an experienced doctor's insight could help me relax a bit. Do I really have a major problem? My doctor who told me to go for scan told me that it could be an infection or kidney stone.

#

Endometriosis is not so common. Although you have a pattern of bleeding which goes in favor of bladder endometriosis. First thing which needs to be ruled out is a stone disease. Get an NCCT KUB done which will confirm or rule out stone disease. If it is not there then next step is a cystoscopy that means having a look inside the bladder by passing a small telescope through urinary passage. In any case these things are treatable and you should not worry much. Revert after the scan .

Thank you very much. I had a scan and the reports are normal. There are no kidney stones but just a bladder infection. I used to see blood in urine which was not related to period blood. But it is confirmed in the scan that there is a minimal bladder wall thickening due to UTI. That caused the blood in my urine. Everything else is normal. Thank you very much for your feed back.

#

Thanks for the feedback.

|