Q. My dad saw blood in his urine after taking a walk. Is it due to kidney stones?

Dr. Samer S J Altawil
This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 06, 2020 and last reviewed on: Apr 19, 2021

My father is diabetic. He has kidney stones. Recently, he saw some blood in his urine after walking. What is the reason behind it?

#

Kidney stones can show different presentations. It can also cause blood in urine after doing exercise. Stones need proper evaluation and treatment. Your father is diabetic and he can have other medical issues. So proper evaluation has to be done before intervention is done. Have a follow-up with more details and do an ultrasound to know his kidney condition now.

Your father is having hematuria due to stones.

Your father needs to do Fbc (full blood count), creatinine, urine analysis, urine culture, ultrasound, and KUB (kidney, ureter, and bladder X-ray).

Your father has renal stones or urothelial or kidney tumor.

You can have urolithiasis.

A proper decision can be taken after doing investigations.

Proper hydration is required. If there is persistent hematuria, then admission and evaluation have to be done.

Have a follow-up after four days with your investigations.

|