Q. My RBC count was high, will this cause blood in urine?

Dr. Akash Kumar
This is a premium question & answer published on Apr 09, 2017 and last reviewed on: Aug 18, 2021

I had an annual health checkup recently. My RBC count was high, will this cause blood in urine? And my eosinophils, ESR, and calcium levels are high. What needs to be done? I currently take BP and cholesterol medicines.

#

• First of all, I want to really appreciate that you go for regular health checkups. Most of your health parameters are within normal range except a few.
  • Regarding calcium, your calcium levels are marginally over the limit, and should not be considered high. The calcium levels are normal and nothing to worry about that.
  • Regarding high RBC in blood, normally there should not be any blood cells in the urine. Your urine test shows few RBC, though it may not be of much concern, they should not be ignored. It is seen in the case of infection, kidney stone, or any other cause.
  • It is wise to consult a urologist or a nephrologist and get an ultrasonogram of the abdomen and pelvis, to find the cause.
  • Eosinophils may rise sometimes in the case of an allergy, but if you are not having any other symptoms they are insignificant. High eosinophil count and kidney disease may be related, but it is very rare
  • Continue with your cholesterol and BP medicines. Try to reduce your weight by doing mild exercises and healthy diet.

For more information consult a general practitioner online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/general-practitioner

Can you also comment on the ESR?

#

• ESR (erythrocyte sedimentation rate) is slightly raised, indicating an infection. But, it is not very specific.

For further queries consult a general practitioner online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/general-practitioner

|