Q. There is blood in urine and the urine dip test shows blood and leukocytes. Please help.

Dr. Sandip Pramanik

I have been having severe pain in my left side for a few months now. I have been to the doctors who told me it was nothing to worry about but the other day I went to the toilet and I was urinating blood. I went back to the doctor who did a urine dip test and I have leukocytes 500, blood 200 and SG 1.025. I am worried as that is a lot of blood in my urine it is the highest mark. I have been given Ciprofloxacin 500 mg for seven days. I am scared in case this does not clear up I am worried sick as I have MS (multiple sclerosis).

#

I have gone through your queries. You are having hematuria (blood in urine). When someone gets hematuria, it has to be taken seriously and has to be investigated in detail.

Please undergo the following investigations.

1. USG KUB AND PVR (ultrasound kidney, ureter and bladder, and post voidal residue).

2. Urine CS (culture test).

3. Urinalysis.

4. Urine for malignant cells for three days.

5. Serum creatinine.

But do not get worried as you are young and the possibility of benign conditions as a cause of hematuria is more in your case. Meanwhile, you continue with the course of antibiotics.

| 

Thank you dcotor,

I am not urinating blood anymore, it is clear but there is still blood when I do the dip test. I am terrified in case the antibiotics do not clear it up and is it something serious?

#

I understand your pain and concern. But it will be too premature to comment on the cause of hematuria without any investigations. However, I can say that as you are a young fellow and your hematuria has been resolved and you had flank pain prior to hematuria, there is a possibility of benign cause of hematuria. For example, stone or UTI (urinary tract infection).

Hence you do not worry. Get the investigations done. Contact your local urologist. And I hope you will be fine. Dipstick tests will detect microhematuria also. That means hematuria will not be detected by the naked eye but will be evidenced by dipstick.

Do not worry. I think it is benign. Let the results of the reports come.

| 

Three kidney stones came out and my creatinine levels is 1.6. Is it dangerous?

Query: Hello doctor, One week before three kidney stones came out, and I have a burning sensation while urinating after that. I went to the doctor he took some test and told that my creatinine level was 1.6. Is it dangerous? I have hypertension and my value is 150/100.  Read Full »

I have conceived after trying for five years. Should I be on bed rest?

Query: Hello doctor,I am a 34 year old female in the seventh week of pregnancy. I have conceived five years after we started trying for a baby. My blood, urine, and ultrasound test results are normal. But, my doctor has advised me a complete bed rest till the 12th week. Could you please comment? Is bed r...  Read Full »

Antibiotics for urinary tract infection treatment

Query: Hi doctor, I am suffering from urinary tract infection. I get these once in every couple of years. I need to get an antibiotic to get rid of it. Please help.  Read Full »