Q. What are the investigations to diagnose the condition that causes blood in urine?

Dr. Vaibhav

I have had NSU in the past and was worried that it would come back. The doctor checked me yesterday and screened for white blood cells by testing, but there was nothing wrong. But this morning, I noticed blood in my pants. I am unsure if the blood has come from my penis. I am distressed and worried, and I would appreciate some assistance with this.

#

The presence of blood in pants needs to be investigated to know the cause and source of bleeding. I suggest doing a urine microscopy test and ultrasound of the abdomen and pelvis. Urine microscopy will confirm the presence of blood in urine, and ultrasound will help find a possible cause like a stone in the bladder or kidney. Even urethritis and prostatitis can cause bleeding, for which antibiotics course need to be taken. If the source of bleeding is not confirmed on the scan, I suggest a cystoscopy test see the inner part of the urethra and bladder. I recommend visiting your doctor again, telling him about the blood discharge, and doing the above investigations.

Thank you for the reply. I noticed the ‘predicted diagnoses’ section beneath my query, which has made me very worried. Do I need to pay attention to these?

#

For the condition of blood in urine, predicted diagnosis can range from infection to stone to cancer.

You should not worry about all the predicted diagnoses. All the predicted diagnoses are not applicable in your case. The reason needs to be investigated appropriately to make a proper diagnosis. In your case, the infection can be the major cause of bleeding. Once the diagnosis is confirmed, proper treatment can be planned.

|