Q. I am 16-year-old, and my blood pressure has risen from 100/68 to 160/80 within a year. Why?

Dr. Muhammad Zohaib Siddiq

I am a 16-year-old physically fit male with a good diet. There is no family history of blood pressure problems and no known pre-existing conditions. Last year, my blood pressure was 100/68. However, today my blood pressure is 160/80. I am seeing a doctor this week, but I wonder if there is any immediate diagnosis I can get. I did end a round of Accutane less than two months ago. Kindly give your opinion.

#

Measures to control BP (blood pressure) are:

1) Avoid smoking and other addictions.

2) Reduce salt intake in the diet.

3) Reduce fatty foods, junk foods, saturated fats.

4) Avoid stress and anxiety.

5) Do regular moderate-intensity exercise such as brisk walk for 30 minutes.

6) Have proper night sleep, atleast eight hours per 24 hours, including atleast six hours in uninterrupted night sleep.

7) Reduce weight even if weight is within normal range.

8) Drink plenty of water.

9) Do deep breathing exercises and meditation.

Measure BP while relaxed and sit for five minutes in a quiet room without talking to anyone. Empty bowel and bladder before checking BP. Avoid tea or coffee 30 minutes before checking BP. Sit on a chair with feet on the ground, back supported, hand supported on a table, cuff at the position of the heart. Check BP and repeat after five minutes again. Then Check BP in the other arm and repeat after five minutes. During the entire period, remain to relax and quiet. Arm with higher BP readings is your BP. You may take atleast two or more readings, and an average of readings is your actual BP. I hope this was helpful.

|