Q. I am a 35 year old female with blood pressure of 140/80 mmHg. Is this reading normal or high?

Answered by
Dr. Sagar Ramesh Makode
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
Published on Oct 29, 2019 and last reviewed on: Nov 05, 2019

Hello doctor,

I am a 35-year-old female. I checked my blood pressure today and it was 140/80 mmHg. I was told it was high. Is this normal or high. I am really worried. Please help.

Dr. Sagar Ramesh Makode

Cardiology General Medicine Internal Medicine


Welcome to icliniq.com.

It is borderline. It is not worrisome. When blood pressure is elevated above 140/90 mmHg. Then it is considered elevated. Such once in a while, elevated blood pressure readings are well accepted. You should monitor your blood pressure three times a day for a week with an electronic blood pressure apparatus. If most of the BP readings are above 140/90 mmHg, then you need to take medicines. If only some readings are elevated, then it is fine. Also, when BP is measured after exertion or in the hospital, then it may be falsely elevated. BP should be measured after a rest of five to ten minutes with arm relaxed. Anyways, you should have a healthy lifestyle like avoiding fatty oily and high-calorie diet and regular exercise, plenty of fruits, etc.

I hope this helps you.

Thank you doctor,

My first reading was 140/80 mmHg, then my second reading was 138/80 mmHg. I was very anxious at that time when it was getting done. You said to watch over 140/90 mmHg, but mines were 140/80 mmHg. If the bottom number goes to 90, then should I be worried?

Dr. Sagar Ramesh Makode

Cardiology General Medicine Internal Medicine


Welcome back to icliniq.com.

If blood pressure goes above 140/90 mmHg then it is worrisome. But readings should be elevated persistently, if elevated once in a while, then usually they are physiological in a response anxiety or exertions. So, we usually advise to monitor BP, if readings are above 140/90 mmHg in order to confirm that patient is truly hypertensive and not having physiological elevation in BP.

So, your readings look fine to me as it is borderline and you were anxious. So, just measure BP frequently in order to confirm that it is not elevated most of the time.

Ask a QueryAsk a Query Consult by PhoneConsult by Phone Video ChatVideo Chat
Also Read Answers From:

Related Questions & Answers

How should I control my BP in winter?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 35 year old male. In winter, My BP increases to around 160/105 mmHg; however, in summer, it is normal at 130/90 mmHg. I do not feel any problems yet such as headache. Now, I feel some shortness of breath. How should I control my BP in winter season? I have already started taking le...  Read Full >>

Dr. Naresh Kumar Monigari
Internal Medicine Physician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I had gone through all the details posted. Kindly confirm whether your blood pressure is raised during winter by repeated BP recordings. Before BP recording you should not take any hit beverage, smoking and be calm. If you have any doubt, then go for ambulatory b...  Read Full

Can CMV or herpes infection before or after birth affect pregnancy or child?

Query: Hello doctor, I am in 36th week of pregnancy. My last ultrasound was doppler happened at 34th week 5 days. I showed the pregnancy of 32 weeks 5 days with mild IUGR. Fetal weight 1885 grams. My gynecologist advised CBC, and Torch IgM, IgG tests. In the CBC test, total leucocyte count is 13300/cumm, ...  Read Full >>

Dr. Ashwini Ekatpure
Ayurveda Specialist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your baby growth is lagging behind. I need weekly no stress test and ultrasound with doppler every 10 days. Do the following things for baby's well being. Maintain daily baby kick count and note down between 9 AM to 9 PM. Blood pressure monitoring on an alternate day. U...  Read Full

I have high blood pressure and feel chest pain. Please help.

Query: Hello doctor,I feel pain on the left side of my chest. I have no sugar but high blood pressure. My age is 50 years. I am 67 inches in height and my weight is 78 kg.  Read Full >>

Dr. Ilir Sharka

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your symptoms could be related to gastroesophageal reflux or muscle pain. I recommend taking an antacid and Acetaminophen. If the pain persists, I would recommend consulting with your attending physician for a physical exam and some tests as follows: Resting ECG a...  Read Full



Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask a General Medicine Physician Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.
Enter Your Health Query
You can upload files and images in the next step.



Disclaimer: All health Q&As published on this website is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek the advice from your physician or other qualified health-care providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website.