iCliniq logo

Ask a Doctor Online Now

HomeAnswersGeneral Practitionerblood pressureCan my cousin take over-the-counter medicines for blood pressure?

What is the possible cause and treatment of high blood pressure?

The following is an actual conversation between an iCliniq user and a doctor that has been reviewed and published as a Premium Q&A.

Medically reviewed by

iCliniq medical review team

Published At May 27, 2024
Reviewed AtJune 5, 2024

Patient's Query

One of my cousins has had high blood pressure for the past 10 years, and now he is 39 years old. He is not under medication and is not controlling his diet also. But will go for walks and play cricket with his friends once a week. He will get very tense while checking his BP. What to do? Is it fine if he does not go for a check-up and has medicines?

Please help.

Answered by Dr. Raveendran S R

I can understand your concern.

If the blood pressure is high, it requires medical attention. Anxiety and tension can be a cause of hypertension. Hypertension is often referred to as the "silent killer" because it typically does not cause noticeable symptoms until it has caused significant damage to the body, such as heart disease, stroke, or kidney damage.

Hence, everybody needs to have regular check-ups and follow-up visits with a healthcare provider to monitor blood pressure and blood sugar and assess overall health. Your cousin must find ways to manage stress and anxiety and to have his blood pressure monitored under various circumstances to obtain accurate readings.

Lifestyle changes, including a heart-healthy diet, regular physical activity, weight management, limiting alcohol intake, and reducing sodium consumption, are essential components of hypertension management. Also, he should plan for the following tests and consult with a doctor in person.

1. Blood pressure levels.

2. FBS (fasting blood sugar).

3. Postprandial blood sugar levels.

4. Complete blood sugar levels.

Hope it helps.

Thanks and regards.

Same symptoms don't mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Dr. Raveendran S R
Dr. Raveendran S R

Sexology

Community Banner Mobile
By subscribing, I agree to iCliniq's Terms & Privacy Policy.

Read answers about:

blood pressurehypertension

Ask your health query to a doctor online

*guaranteed answer within 4 hours

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. iCliniq privacy policy