Q. Why is there a persistent hike in blood pressure?

Published on Oct 23, 2018

My father is 69 years old. His blood pressure remains high for about six months. His blood pressure is between 180 by 90 mmHg and 200 by 110 mmHg. It is staying consistent for the past six months. He is a nonsmoker and takes multiple medications for blood pressure. He has blood pressure for 20 years. He is healthy. His kidneys are well. The doctor has increased his dosage. Please help us.

Cardiology General Medicine Internal Medicine
#

It occurs due to age-related hardening of vessels called as arteriosclerosis. This hardening is not reversible, and so he has a high BP. He should be taking medicine throughout his life. He should have a healthy lifestyle like avoiding fatty, oily and high-calorie diet. He should have a low salt diet and monitor his blood pressure regularly thrice a day for one week and then once or twice a week. If the BP is persistently more than 140 by 90 mmHg, then his medicines are needed to be hiked up. Regular exercise like brisk walking can help him. He can do walking according to his capacity for at least 30 minutes a day and five days a week. Do a test for lipid profile and sugar once.

My blood pressure is erratic. Can you help ?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 30 year old. Recently, I started having high blood pressure. It goes up and down a lot. At some times, it is 170/90, and at others, it is 130/80. Recently I have done a blood test, where my Hb was 10.52, cholesterol was 152, triglyceride was 165, HDL 28 and LDL was 91. The other...  Read Full »