Q. Why is there a persistent hike in blood pressure?

Answered by
Dr. Sagar Ramesh Makode
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on Oct 23, 2018

Hi doctor,

My father is 69 years old. His blood pressure remains high for about six months. His blood pressure is between 180 by 90 mmHg and 200 by 110 mmHg. It is staying consistent for the past six months. He is a nonsmoker and takes multiple medications for blood pressure. He has blood pressure for 20 years. He is healthy. His kidneys are well. The doctor has increased his dosage. Please help us.



Welcome to

It occurs due to age-related hardening of vessels called as arteriosclerosis. This hardening is not reversible, and so he has a high BP. He should be taking medicine throughout his life. He should have a healthy lifestyle like avoiding fatty, oily and high-calorie diet. He should have a low salt diet and monitor his blood pressure regularly thrice a day for one week and then once or twice a week. If the BP is persistently more than 140 by 90 mmHg, then his medicines are needed to be hiked up. Regular exercise like brisk walking can help him. He can do walking according to his capacity for at least 30 minutes a day and five days a week. Do a test for lipid profile and sugar once.

Was this answer helpful?


Same symptoms doesn’t mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Related Questions:
High Blood Pressure: Things You Need To Know!!

Co-morbid conditions such as diabetes mellitus accelerate the organ damage ...   Read full

Lifestyle Modifications in Hypertensive Patients

Diet: What you eat has a significant effect on your blood pressure levels ...   Eat diet rich in fruits and vegetables with high fibre contents like green leafy veg...   Read full

Lifestyle Modifications for Women's Health

This will improve your confidence, lead to an exchange of ideas, and allow you to know more about lifestyle issues of the people around you ...   Read full


Also Read Answers From:

ideaComprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Also Read

Management of Coronasomnia
Coronasomnia refers to increased sleep problems among people during the COVID-19 pandemic. Read the below article to get...  Read more»
Balantidiasis - Causes, Signs and Symptoms, Diagnosis, Treatment, and Prevention
Balantidiasis is a rare bacterial infection caused by a parasite called Balantidium coli. Read the article below to know...  Read more»
JAK Inhibitors in Treating Rheumatoid Arthritis
Doctors mainly suggest JAK or Janus kinase inhibitors for patients with rheumatoid arthritis to ease their symptoms. Rea...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask a Cardiologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.