Q. How to control blood sugar level in a 54-year-old taking Glycomet-GP?

Dr. Prabhakar Laxman Jathar

I am a 54-year-old male with a height of around 6'2" and a weight of approximately 95 kg. I have a fasting sugar level of 140 mg/dL and a postprandial sugar level of 185 mg/dL. I was diagnosed about 11 years back with diabetes. I took Glycomet-GP 2 tablets for about two weeks and then controlled it by diet and exercise. I took one tablet of Glycomet-GP 1 after dinner for the last three weeks, but there has been no change in fasting sugar levels. Even after two hours of dinner, my sugar levels are 180 to 190 mg/dL. Can you please recommend another medication? Thanks in advance for the support.

#

Welcome to icliniq.com

I understand your concern.

Thanks for the query.

I have read the details given. Fasting glucose of 140 mg/dL is relatively high. Ideally, at your age, the values should be-

1. Fasting blood sugar should be less than 100 mg/dL.

2. Postprandial sugar should be 150 mg/dL to 160 mg/dL.

3. Average blood glucose (sugar) levels (HbA1c) percentage should be less than 6.5 %.

At these values, diabetes is considered as well controlled. I have the following concerns-

1. If you initially took Glimepiride 2 mg, why did you shift to a 1 mg dose? Because it is possible that a 1 mg dose is not adequate for you.

2. Another important aspect is looking at your height and weight. With a BMI (Body Mass Index) of 26.98 kg/sq meter, you have over 13 kgs of weight (your ideal body weight should be about 82 kgs). Being overweight also affects blood glucose control.

3. Another aspect is to give a closer look at your diet. There is a need to have a restricted diet that provides all the necessary nutrients plus adequate calories because your caloric need has to be based on your ideal body weight (82 kg X 20 calories = 1640 calories).

Weight reduction and diet control will help in better glucose control.

If you have any questions, please do come back.

Thanks.

|