Q. Please suggest the right medication for maintaining the sugar levels and blood pressure.

Dr. Hafiz Muhammad Hassan Shoukat

I was diagnosed with BP and diabetes. I am taking Diamicron 60 mg, Amaryl 2 mg, Adalat 20 mg, and Atenolol 50 mg daily. I am experiencing ED for more than a year now. What should I need to do now?

#

You are taking these medications in the wrong order. Both Diamicron (Gliclazide) and Amaryl (Glimepiride) belong to the same class. It should never be taken together, and it can cause hypoglycemia. Please explain about the experience with Glucophage (attachment removed to protect patient identity). If you do not have diarrhea or GI symptoms, then you can retake it again and gradually increase the dosage.

Start taking Glycomet 500 mg (Metformin) twice daily. Discontinue Diamicron, and Adalat and continue taking Amaryl 2 mg, and Atenolol. Start taking Zestril 10 mg (Lisinopril) once daily at night time. Please send me the BP readings and blood sugar levels taken recently to adjust the medications for you. Take the right medicines to decrease the complications of diabetes and BP.

|