Q. Should I worry about my father's blood sugar level?

Dr. Swaraj S W
This is a premium question & answer published on Nov 16, 2016 and last reviewed on: Nov 02, 2020

My father is diabetic and was taking Glycomet 500 mg once daily. 20 days ago, His blood test showed increased sugar level and liver parameters. He was then advised to take the medicine twice daily. LFT and blood sugar tests were repeated before three days. There is not much change in sugar level, though liver parameters have shown decreasing trend. I have attached the reports for your reference. Please advise.

#

• His sugar levels are fine (attachment removed to protect patient identity).
  • There is no need to worry as his average sugar control for the three months has been normal. For his age of 83, HbA1c of 7.2 is perfect. There is no need to worry with respect to his diabetes.
  • With respect to his liver enzymes, they are showing a downward trend. So, repeat liver function test, fasting and postprandial sugar after two weeks.

Revert back after two weeks to an endocrinologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/endocrinologist

thanks a lot doctor. I will revert back to u after repeating tests in 2 weeks
# Hello Sapna...hope u doing good.
The file that u have uploaded I am not able to see it.
I am fine dr. I am uploading the file again
# guess some issues with the attached file. icliniq support team needs to address this issue. In the mean time if u can send me the typed reports I will go through and let u know.
The results are as follow:
Bilirubin Total: 1.08, Bilirubin Direct: 0.25, Bilirubin Indirect: 0.83
SGOT: 41, SGPT: 32,
GGTP: 80
Alkaline Phosphatase: 65, Total Protein: 7.72, Albumin: 3.86, A:G ratio: 1.00

Glucose Fasting: 108, Glucose PP: 123

GGTP is still high
# ggt is elevated but not to the extent to worry abt.No need to worry.Hope he is eating well and is mobile and doing all his day to day activities.
Sugars are pitch perfect no need to worry.
After 3 months kindly do a fasting and after food test along with liver function tests and hba1c.
If ggt still high will need to take a gastroenterologist opinion.

| 

For 7.5 HbA1c level, should Gemer 1 tablet be continued?

Query: Hi doctor, Last month, my HbA1C was 7.5. I was advised to take Gemer 1 tablet before breakfast for 30 days. My LDL cholesterol is 119 mg/dL, HDL is 40mg/dL and triglycerides 161 mg/dL. My age is 49. Should I continue Gemer 1 along with other medicines? Kindly suggest.  Read Full »

Do I need to worry about my LFT report?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 29 year old male. My weight is 75 kg and height is 5'11". Two years ago, I was a heavy drinker. But, nowadays I only drink beer once a week for about 6 to 7 pints. My SGOT AND SGPT levels were much higher two years ago. I think they were around 150 to 175. I just got my LFT done b...  Read Full »

Diabetes and Eyes

Article Overview: Diabetes is one of the leading cause for permanent blindness. It is very essential for us to know to avoid the complications of diabetes. Micro-vascular complications will involve eyes, kidneys and nerves in common. But early detection and prevention will avoid permanent disability. Read Article

Dr. Pratap Vgm
Diabetologist

"EYES are the most beautiful organs created by nature which enables us to have vision. It is very important factor for individuals to be independent in their life" Diabetes is a metabolic syndrome entity which is characterized by hyperglycemia, high blood pressure and dyslipedemia. It causes variou...  Read Article

Vitamin D and COVID-19
Did you know COVID-19 patients with vitamin D deficiency are twice as likely to have severe complications, including dea...  Read more»
The New 'Super-Spreader' Strain of Coronavirus
A new variant of SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, is spreading fast in parts of the UK. Read how this new var...  Read more»
How to treat my mother's sigmoid colon ulcer?
Hi doctor, My mother, who is 45 years old, has ulcers in the sigmoid colon for the last 15 years. The problem got reduce...  Read more»

Ask an Endocrinologist Now