Q. Should I worry about my father's blood sugar level?

Dr. Swaraj S W
and medically reviewed by Dr. K Shobana
This is a premium question & answer published on Nov 16, 2016 and last reviewed on: Mar 17, 2021

My father is diabetic and he is taking Glycomet 500 mg daily. Before 20 days, he took a blood test. It showed increased sugar levels with liver parameters. The doctor advised him to take medicines twice daily. He repeated his blood sugar levels and LFT before three days. He did not have any change in his sugar level but the liver parameters showed a decreased value. I have attached the reports. Please advise.

#

His sugar levels are fine (attachment removed to protect patient identity). There is nothing to be worried as his average sugar level is normal for the past three months. Having an HbA1c (hemoglobinA1c) of 7.2 is fine for his age of 83. There is nothing to be worried about his diabetic condition. Regarding liver enzymes, it shows a decreased value. So repeat liver function test, fasting, and postprandial sugar after two weeks. Have a follow-up after two weeks.

I will revert back to you after repeating the test in two weeks.

#

Have a follow-up after having the results.

I am attaching the reports.

#

Your attached report is not clear. Kindly resend it soon.

My father has a bilirubin total of 1.08 mg/dL, bilirubin direct of 0.25 mg/dL, bilirubin indirect of 0.83 mg/dL, SGOT of 41 U/L, SGPT of 32 U/L, GGTP of 80 U/L, alkaline phosphatase of 65 IU/L, total protein of 7.72 g/dL, albumin of 3.86 g/dL, fasting glucose of 108 mg/dL, and postprandial of 123 mg/dL.

#

His GGT (gamma-glutamyl transferase) value is high. I hope that he is eating well and doing his day-to-day activities without help. His sugar levels are fine. Kindly do fasting and postprandial blood glucose tests along with liver function tests and HbA1c after three months. If GGT seems to be high, then it is good to consult a gastroenterologist soon.

|