HomeAnswersRheumatologyblood testMy test results show low C3 and C4 levels. What exactly does this mean?

What do low C3 and C4 levels on test results imply?

Share

The following is an actual conversation between an iCliniq user and a doctor that has been reviewed and published as a Premium Q&A.

Medically reviewed by

iCliniq medical review team

Published At October 30, 2023
Reviewed AtDecember 5, 2023

Patient's Query

I have low C3 and C4 levels on my test results and need help getting answers from the primary care providers and physician assistants I have met. But I am still curious about it. What does this imply? Kindly help.

I read your query and can understand your concern.

Low C3 and C4 levels are always considered abnormal because they indicate that the person has either genetically low complement levels, resulting in low immunity, or that the complement is used in excess in the body if a person has an underlying autoimmune disease, such as lupus, and generally means involvement of the kidney, where it is deposited, and low levels remain in the blood. You have not specified your symptoms or urine examination. Providing a comprehensive history of your ailment and any records you have would aid in reaching a determination.

Revert with the answer to assist further.

Thank you and take care.

Patient's Query

Thank you for the reply.

I forget ever having my pee checked, but my other lab results were okay. My symptoms then were significant unexplained joint pain, primarily in my hands, wrists, and occasionally knees, sternocostal discomfort, and weariness. I experienced these symptoms. These symptoms all went away when I became pregnant, and I am still breastfeeding and have not experienced their return. Below are some lab reports; the results are negative, but please let me know if you want to view any others I have completed. I attempted to see a rheumatologist a year ago to ask about my issues but did not have enough positive tests. Kindly help.

So it started with joint aches, was it coupled with joint swelling? You do not have photosensitivity or mouth ulcers in your history. I need to know if your previous reports are excellent, and I would like to request more investigations if feasible.

I hope I have answered your question.

Let me know if I can assist you further.

Patient's Query

Thank you for the reply.

They felt swollen to me but did not seem swollen on the outside. I did not have photosensitivity but shingles after a week of intense sunlight when I was 28 years old. I have only had mild mouth ulcers; might it have been HSV1 on my gums? I have never had a pee test. Kindly help.

A few screening tests were negative, so I requested a urine examination. A low complement indicates deposition in the kidney, and a urine examination will be aberrant. If the urine is normal, we can rest and just watch for any symptoms.

Thank you and take care.

Patient's Query

Got it, thank you! I don't know if I can get a urine examination?? Also since getting pregnant all of my symptoms went away- would complement C3 and C4 change to normal levels too or does that not happen?
Complement level is dynamic they can increase or dicrease in day today life and may reach to normal level in few weeks only ,unless they are getting deposited somewhere as I said if urine is normal and you don't have any symptoms you need not to worry at all About complement. Regards

Same symptoms don't mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Rheumatology

Community Banner Mobile
By subscribing, I agree to iCliniq's Terms & Privacy Policy.

Read answers about:

low c3 and c4blood test

Ask your health query to a doctor online

Rheumatology

*guaranteed answer within 4 hours

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. iCliniq privacy policy