Q. Does high level of monocytes and platelets in blood test indicate cancer?

Answered by Dr. C Elanchezhian and medically reviewed by Dr. Nithila A

Do you have a question on Blood Tests or High Platelet Count? We have medical experts to help you right away. Ask a Doctor Now »

Dr. C Elanchezhian
M.D GEN,MEDICINE
General Medicine, Internal Medicine

There are two types of thrombocytosis, primary and secondary. Primary thrombocytosis is a disease in which abnormal cells in the bone marrow cause an increase in platelets.

Secondary thrombocytosis is due to another condition the patient may be suffering from,

1. Anemia due to iron deficiency,
  2. Cancer,
  3. Inflammation or infection,
  4. Surgery, especially splenectomy (removal of the spleen).

Increase of monocytes indicates there is a chronic infection, an autoimmune or blood disorder, cancer, or other medical conditions.

What are the reasons for high platelet count?
Query: Hi doctor, I am a 46 year old diabetic female. My platelet count is high at 9 lakhs in routine CBC. My iron is normal. My USG showed hepatosplenomegaly and PBS showed microcytic hypochromic anisocytosis. What shall I do now?  Read Full »
Dr. Veerendra Patil
Hematologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The platelet count is above the normal range. There are many reasons for such elevated platelet count. It needs further investigations, including genetic tests. The conditions like essential thrombocytosis could be considered with the available information from you. It...  Read Full »

I run out of breath while taking stairs. What is going on?
Query: Hello doctor,I have been diagnosed with hypertension and tachycardia. Every time I walk up the stairs or walk I feel like I am running out of breath. I could hear my heart throbbing in my right ear. It started four months back. I am obsessed also. Please let me know what is going on. Currently, I am...  Read Full »
Dr. Amiya Kumar Chattopadhyay

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I suggest you some blood tests and free T4, T3, TSH (thyroid stimulating hormone), Hb % (hemoglobin), FBS (fasting blood sugar) and Holter monitoring to evaluate your maximum and minimum heart rate and to identify any other abnormalities. Control your BP adequately and ...  Read Full »

I have headaches, dizziness, and swollen feet and ankles. What should I do?
Query: Hello doctor, I am wondering if anyone would know what is wrong or what other tests can be done. My ANA is 1:360, TSH is 0.5, free and total, T3 and T4 are normal. SLE (systemic lupus erythematosus) is negative, Sjorgen's is negative, and thyroid ultrasound is normal. Symptoms experienced are extrem...  Read Full »
Rheumatologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I went through your post. Firstly, let me summarize your complaints and investigations. You have symptoms of ill health which include headaches, giddiness, and swelling of feet and ankles. Positive findings on investigations are your high leukocyte count of more than...  Read Full »

How does yoga help senior citizens?
Is this brown spot I developed, a wart or a symptom of HPV?
What Is Deep Vein Thrombosis?

Also Read Answers From