Q. Does high level of monocytes and platelets in blood test indicate cancer?

Dr. C Elanchezhian
and medically reviewed by Nithila A
Published on May 19, 2019

My blood test shows platelets and monocytes above the normal range. Is this a sign of cancer?

Dr. C Elanchezhian

#

There are two types of thrombocytosis, primary and secondary. Primary thrombocytosis is a disease in which abnormal cells in the bone marrow cause an increase in platelets.

Secondary thrombocytosis is due to another condition the patient may be suffering from,

1. Anemia due to iron deficiency,
  2. Cancer,
  3. Inflammation or infection,
  4. Surgery, especially splenectomy (removal of the spleen).

Increase of monocytes indicates there is a chronic infection, an autoimmune or blood disorder, cancer, or other medical conditions.

What are the reasons for high platelet count?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 46 year old diabetic female. My platelet count is high at 9 lakhs in routine CBC. My iron is normal. My USG showed hepatosplenomegaly and PBS showed microcytic hypochromic anisocytosis. What shall I do now?  Read Full »

I run out of breath while taking stairs. What is going on?

Query: Hello doctor,I have been diagnosed with hypertension and tachycardia. Every time I walk up the stairs or walk I feel like I am running out of breath. I could hear my heart throbbing in my right ear. It started four months back. I am obsessed also. Please let me know what is going on. Currently, I am...  Read Full »

What are the causes for headaches and swollen feet?

Query: Hello doctor, I am wondering if anyone would know what is wrong or what other tests can be done. My ANA is 1:360, TSH is 0.5, free and total, T3 and T4 are normal. SLE (systemic lupus erythematosus) is negative, Sjorgen's is negative, and thyroid ultrasound is normal. Symptoms experienced are extrem...  Read Full »