Q. I have low T cells with dropping CD4 and CD8. Please comment on my blood report.

Published on Nov 17, 2019

Should another consult with hematologist be conducted regarding no improvement on my blood work since last time? It appears that the folic acid and B12 vitamins are not exactly working. Now T cells are dropping as with CD4 and CD8. HIV remains undetectable whereby, I believe that is ruled out?

Rae blood cell folate 185.6 ng/mL low

Vitamin B12 265 ng/mL

Absolute monocyte count (auto) 0.24 low

MPV 9.1 low

Platelet count 152 low

Total T cells CD3+ 761 10E6/L low

Total CD4 cells (CD3+ CD4+) 414 low

Total CD8 cells (CD3+ CD8+) 348 10E6/L low

MCH 33.5 high

RBC 4.83 million/mm3

WBC 5.17

HIV-1 RNA VIRAL LOAD (copies/mL).

Hematology Pathology
#

Low CD count can be due to altered immune function or HIV. You have been investigated with the molecular tests for HIV. So after four to six weeks of exposure, it can definitely rule out HIV. If you have investigated early with a provided period then you have to repeat your HIV testing. For low folate, you can be prescribed folic acid tablet for one or two months.

For low vitamin B12, cyanocobalamine injection can be prescribed once a week for eight weeks. If you have any specific clinical complaints or history then mention it to give further comment. I hope this helps.

I have the symptoms of occasional fever and chills, fatigue, weakness, bone and joint pain and night sweats. Currently, I am taking 2000 mg vitamin B12 daily and 1 mg folic acid daily. I have been HIV undetectable for 10 years while on the current regiment. I did have prostate cancer 18 months ago, and the prostate was removed.

Hematology Pathology
#

You have to check your hemoglobin level to rule out anemia. As you are having bone pain and joint pain you have to investigate,

Serum ANA estimation,

RA factor estimation,

Serum-free ionized calcium estimation.

For your weakness problem, it is advisable to investigate with serum TSH (thyroid-stimulating hormone) estimation, SGPT (serum glutamic pyruvate transaminase), SGOT (serum glutamic oxaloacetic transaminase) estimation, serum urea, and creatinine estimation. Your liver and spleen also should be palpated to exclude hepatosplenomegaly. You can take vitamin B12 in the form of injection for rapid improvement. Folic acid 5 mg daily can be able to improve folic acid deficiency rapidly.

If your prostate cancer was of high Gleason score, that is more than 8 then metastasis to bone should be ruled out by bone scan. I suggest you consult a nearby physician for a detailed examination and discuss all these.

AIDS (Acquired Immunodeficiency Syndrome)

Article Overview: AIDS (Acquired Immunodeficiency Syndrome) is the most advanced stage of HIV infection. AIDS is defined by the presence of at least one major and two minor infections and not related to CD4 count. Human Immunodeficiency Virus (HIV) causes HIV and AIDS. Read Article

Dr. Sneha Kannan
HIV AIDS Specialist

AIDS (Acquired Immunodeficiency Syndrome) is the most advanced stage of HIV infection. AIDS is defined by the presence of at least one major and two minor infections and not related to CD4 count. Human Immunodeficiency Virus (HIV) causes HIV and AIDS. There are two types of HIV, which are HIV-1 and...  Read Article

My blood reports shows lymphocytosis and macrocytic anemia. Kindly give your opinion.

Query: Hello doctor,I would like to know your opinion of my complete blood count. I have attached my reports with this which shows absolute lymphocytosis and macrocytic anemia from two years.  Read Full »

Will an HLA-B35/58 person produce antibodies against HIV?

Query: Hello doctor, I have studied that HLA-B35, HLA-B58, and HLA-B7 are responsible for the rapid progression of AIDS and often test false negative when tested. However, with C clade virus it is somewhat protective and does not lead to rapid disease progression which has something to do w...  Read Full »

Ask a Hematologist Now