Q. Please do check my blood reports and let me know if I have any abnormalities.

Dr. Prakash H Muddegowda
Published on Sep 14, 2015 and last reviewed on: Jan 29, 2019

I have weight loss, cholesterol problem, and low vitamin D level. Please do check my attached blood reports and let me know if I have any other problem.

Dr. Prakash H Muddegowda

Geriatrics Hematology Pathology
#

I have gone through your reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Based on your query, my opinion is as follows:

1. Body Mass Index (BMI) above 18 is acceptable. Protein-rich nutrition with weight training will be beneficial for gaining weight. Avoid fatty or carbohydrate-rich diet for weight gain.
  2. Cholesterol levels show mild abnormality. You need to control your cholesterol level.
  3. If you are taking alcohol, most of the results of cholesterol, bilirubin and increased enzyme levels can be explained. However, if not, then we need to look for possible medications or diet change. It is advisable to avoid any hepatotoxic agents.
  4. Vitamin D is definitely low. You will need to take supplements. This is needed to improve bone density. Moderate sun exposure with supplements is necessary.
  5. Overall healthy report, except for liver-related tests, which are marginally varying and will require re-evaluation after 6 months.

Alcohol might be a cause for the liver related changes.

Nothing major to worry for now. You will have to repeat the tests especially lipid profile and liver functions tests after 6 months to look for any changes.

Avoiding alcohol should help.

Is cholesterol level of 299 too high?

Query: Hello doctor, Recently, I have checked my lipid profile and sugar. The results are total cholesterol 229, HDL 53, LDL 150, BP 130/90 mmHg and sugar 104. Are these results fine? Let me know whether I have any heart disease. For cholesterol I am taking Triglize. Kindly give few suggestions to lowe...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your total cholesterol target should be 150. Low-density lipoprotein (LDL) should be below 100 and high-density lipoprotein (HDL) in range of 50 to 60. Your blood sugar is normal. Right now you do not seem to have heart condition and your slightly raised blood pressure is...  Read Full

Can liposuction be done for weight loss?

Query: Hi doctor, I am planning to go for liposuction to lose weight. My weight is 78 kg and height is 5'3". Kindly suggest.  Read Full >>

Dr. Amar Vennapusa
Bariatric Surgery, Metabolic Surgery

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your calculated body mass index (BMI) is 30.4 kg/m2. Generally we perform bariatric surgery to achieve permanent weight loss for any patient whose BMI is 30 kg/m2 or above. Liposuction is not a treatment option for weight loss. It is a cosmetic procedure for body shapin...  Read Full

Why am I experiencing rapid weight loss?

Query: Hello doctor, I have a concern regarding my weight. I have lost about 2 to 2.5 kg in a month's time. I have not exercised recently. I weighed 74.4 kg last month, and now I weigh 72.8 kg. Moreover, my waist circumference has also decreased. I am worried about this sudden weight loss. Could this indic...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your BMI (body mass index) is 25.36 which is close to the normal range. However, I do understand your concern. Can you provide more details about your lifestyle as well as medical and personal history? Do you smoke cigarettes? Do you have a family history of d...  Read Full

Ask a Hematologist Now