Q. What does it mean when my plasma levels are raised when compared to LH?

Published on Jul 07, 2019 and last reviewed on: Jul 09, 2019

I had a fertility blood test and scan. All came out fine except it said I had slightly raised plasma levels in comparison to LH. Does this mean I have problems, and what does it mean?

Infertility Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

Raised plasma levels of LH or Leutinizing Hormone indicates a premature ovarian failure in women less than 35 years. And in a woman above 40, it indicates perimenopausal status (if she is still menstruating) or menopausal (is she has not menstruated for a year). However, one needs to be transparent with regards to the day on which the blood sample was collected.

If it was received on day 12 to 16 th day of your cycle, then this could be an ongoing LH surge before ovulation. But if it is on day 2 of your period, (the day on which test should ideally be done), then it gives a status of your ovarian functionality. Please share your reports if possible and mention the menstrual day of collection of your blood sample.

| 

Sorry, it was slightly raised LSH levels in comparison to LH.

Infertility Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

Do you mean FSH? There is nothing called lsh. Do you mean FSH is raised as compared to LH?

| 

Yes, it is FSH, and it was slightly raised in comparison to LH.

Infertility Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

There is a range for each FSH (follicle stimulating hormone) and LH (Leutinizing Hormone) for the day of cycle on which it has done. Ideally, the LH and FSH ratio should not be reversed, and also the levels should be less than 10 in any case. Also, there are cyclical variations with each cycle as well.

| 

I was tested on day 3 and day 21.

Infertility Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

If there has been no substantial raise of FSH near 8 to 10 levels as compared to LH on day 3 especially, then these are reasonably normal levels for you. You need not be concerned if you are getting regular cycles and also if other hormones are within normal limit.

| 

After abortion, my wife is bleeding from anus. How to manage?

Query: Hi doctor, My wife was admitted to hospital due to incomplete abortion and dengue fever NS1 reactive. She had 6 weeks pregnancy. Doctor has done surgical abortion and it was found dengue fever after blood test. She was admitted for three days. Her initial platelet count was 150000 and later 180000, ...  Read Full »

Should I get a bone marrow biopsy to rule out possible MPN?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 49-year-old female who has chronic health problems going back for awhile. Originally, I was told I had lupus but now I am beginning to think it is something else. Nine months back, I consulted an orthopedic surgeon due to suspected necrosis in left hip, after an arthrogram was don...  Read Full »

I run out of breath while taking stairs. What is going on?

Query: Hello doctor,I have been diagnosed with hypertension and tachycardia. Every time I walk up the stairs or walk I feel like I am running out of breath. I could hear my heart throbbing in my right ear. It started four months back. I am obsessed also. Please let me know what is going on. Currently, I am...  Read Full »

Ask a Family Physician Now