Q. After a fall my child's cheek turned blue. What to do?

Dr. Deepak Patel
This is a premium question & answer published on Mar 10, 2016 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

My child fell from a seesaw. He got hurt near his cheek and that area turned blue. There was no bleeding at all. It is there for over 2-3 days. Today, we saw the blue area extended near the eye. What should we do now? I have attached the photos for your reference. Please suggest.

#

I can understand your concerns and I have thoroughly gone through the photos (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

• The bluish discoloration signifies that there was bleeding at that region due to trauma and now it is healing. The bluishness which is reaching towards eye suggests that bleeding was also present there, but it got unnoticed due to loose tissue near eyes.
  • If there is no earlier history of bluish spots over body or the wound takes more time to heal then only you have to worry.
  • One more thing you have to do is consult an eye doctor and get your child's eye examined thoroughly to rule out any eye injury.
  • There are some diseases like hemophilia in which the wound takes more time to heal or bluish spots persists after minor trauma. But, I think that this is a rare possibility in your case. Wait for 2-3 days, the bluishness will disappear.

For further information consult a child health specialist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/child-health-specialist

|