Q. I am pregnant and have pain in the lower abdomen and back. Should I go to the hospital now?

I am currently pregnant, as confirmed by a pregnancy test. Yesterday, I felt a lower abdomen and lower back pain that does not go away. May I know if I need to go to the hospital now? I just want to know if this calls for concern and we need to go to emergency. Thank you.

#

During early pregnancy, there are chances that you may experience a mild lower abdominal ache off and on due to uterosacral ligament laxity, which is physiological.

But if lower back pain, as well as lower suprapubic pain, occurs, then there are all chances that you may be suffering from a possible urinary tract infection, which would be needed to be ruled out with a urine routine microscopy test. If the pain persists for more than 24 hours, then you need to be investigated. Regards.

Noted, and thank you, doctor. Our gynecologist visit will be in a couple of days. Is it fine that we wait, or should we go to the emergency? Also, is there anything we can do to relieve the pain? Thank you.

#

You can try taking Tablet Paracetamol 500 mg, one tablet twice a day to control the pain, as it is the only painkiller that is safe in pregnancy. If the pain is controlled, then you may visit on your scheduled date. Keep your vaginal hygiene good, which can predispose to secondary urinary tract infection.

We appreciate it. I have once been diagnosed with UTI and had different signs. For now, the pain is tolerable if I lay down. We are just concerned about these symptoms as this is my first time. I will not take Paracetamol for now and will go to our schedule with our gynecologist. Do you have any other tips for a first-time pregnant mother? Thank you.

#

Keep the water intake good. Do not lift any weight (not more than 3 kg). Avoid jogging, jumping, and running to prevent unnecessary jerks. Lastly, avoid intercourse till the late second trimester.

|