Q. For the past 20 days, I have pain in different parts of my body and joints. Is it RA?

Dr. Nupoor Acharya
This is a premium question & answer published on Oct 01, 2020 and last reviewed on: Feb 10, 2021

I am 37 years old with a weight of 72 kilograms and a height of five feet seven inches. I have pain in the body for twenty days. Sometimes, I have pain in my ankles and there is a pain in the knee both on the front and backside. I have pain in the neck along with back pain. I have difficulty in standing after using toilet seat. Nowadays, I feel hungry very soon with numbness in my arms and legs. I have done some blood tests. I have an RF of 20 IU/ml, ESR of 18 mm/hr, CRP of 4.2 mg/L, and uric acid of 6.0 mg/dL. I have a negative result for anti-CCP and ANA profile. I have vitamin B12 of 412 pg/mL, and vitamin D of 16 ng/mL. I have normal hemoglobin of 15.5 g/dL. Sometimes I have pain in the lower back and upper back. I have headaches with numbness and tingling in my arms and legs.

#

Your symptoms and blood tests do not suggest rheumatoid arthritis. But this pattern of joint and back pain is seen in another form of arthritis called spondyloarthropathy. Please mention whether you have stiffness in the hip or buttock in the morning. If yes, then it is caused due to spondyloarthropathy. You can start taking tablet Etoricoxib 90 mg at night. The response of the medicine will help us to reach a diagnosis. You can take an X-ray of the pelvis (anteroposterior view) and HLA-B27 (human leukocyte antigen B27). Have a follow up with the reports.

I do not have stiffness in the hip or buttocks. One of my orthopedic suggested me to have treatment for fibromyalgia.

#

Yes, you can have fibromyalgia. Please mention whether you have tenderness on any other part of the body. Please mention whether you have insomnia, stress, or low mood.

I had symptoms of IBS last month for twenty days. After taking medicines, it got reduced. I am not sure about tenderness. I have stress and I will sleep well. I cannot able to sit for a long time. It makes me uncomfortable as we sit directly on the buttock bone. I have pain in the lower back and upper back also. Pain in my body gets changed and sometimes I have pain in the knee and legs. If I sit for a long time with a cross leg and when I stretch to stand and walk for four to five steps, I start to have pain.

#

It is difficult to give a diagnosis without examining you directly. You can take tablet Etoricoxib 90 mg at night for two weeks and get the tests done. We can see its response after two weeks. If all the tests are normal and if you do not have any improvement with NSAIDs (nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs), then you can start taking treatment for fibromyalgia.

|