Q. I have fever-like symptoms and body pain. What should I do?

This is a premium question & answer published on Dec 13, 2016 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

For the last four to five days, I have a fever-like symptoms and body pain. I am a diabetic and Insulin dependent. What should I do? I am currently taking Lantus Insulin 20 units, NovoRapid 10 units, Olmin 40 and Lnbloc 20.

Andrology Geriatrics Psychiatry Psychologist/ Counsellor Psychotherapy Sexology
#

I read your query and understand your concerns.

• First of all, I am assuming that there is no fever. As in the query, there is a word fever-like and no fever.
  • If this is not the case, then you are requested to see a doctor as fever along with diabetes is never a small thing and due caution should be exercised.
  • If there is only body pain with feeling that you have a fever, but actually there is no fever, then the first possibility is viral infection due to changing seasons over the last few weeks.
  • Most likely they will resolve within three to seven days and not much to worry. Mean time, you can use simple Paracetamol 500 mg on need basis and avoid any other medication except your regular medication for diabetes.
  • The simple Paracetamol will suffice to relieve your pain.

For further information consult a general practitioner online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/general-practitioner

| 

Can a viral infection increase the ESR level?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 30 years old male. My recent blood report shows high ESR level (48 mm/hr). I am having a cough, fever, and a headache since eight days. The doctor told me that I have a viral infection, and has given me antibiotics and a cough syrup. Please guide.  Read Full »

Fever in Babies: When to Call the Doctor

Article Overview: Fever is a non-specific symptom. When babies have fever, it can be traumatic for the parents as well, because they are unsure of what is causing it and how to soothe the baby. Adding to their anxiety, the baby is unable to explain his/ her discomfort in words. This article deals with how to take care of a baby who is down with fever and when to seek medical help. Read Article

Dr. Vasantha K S
Child Health Specialist

Fever is not an illness by itself, but a symptom. It can be due to virus or bacteria. Viral fevers that come with the common flu or cold tend to subside within three days. They do not require antibiotics as these medicines have no effect on the virus. On the other hand, bacterial fevers like urinary...  Read Article

Diabetes and Eyes

Article Overview: Diabetes is one of the leading cause for permanent blindness. It is very essential for us to know to avoid the complications of diabetes. Micro-vascular complications will involve eyes, kidneys and nerves in common. But early detection and prevention will avoid permanent disability. Read Article

Dr. Pratap Vgm
Diabetologist

"EYES are the most beautiful organs created by nature which enables us to have vision. It is very important factor for individuals to be independent in their life" Diabetes is a metabolic syndrome entity which is characterized by hyperglycemia, high blood pressure and dyslipedemia. It causes variou...  Read Article

Ask a General Practitioner Now