Q. I am diabetic and getting recurrent pus filled boils over face and neck. Please suggest medication.

Answered by
Dr. B. T. Priya
and medically reviewed by Dr. Vinodhini. J
This is a premium question & answer published on Apr 06, 2020

Hello doctor,

I am 68 years old. I was supposed to meet you after 15 days of treatment prescribed by you. Due to lockdown, unable to appear for consultation in person. The bacterial infection on the face and neck (pus filled boils) initially got reduced but new eruptions has started to emerge. The tablet course also have got over. Kindly suggest the way forward in this treatment.

I am attaching the old prescription.



Welcome to icliniq.com.

I have seen the attachment. (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

I have not got the picture of your skin lesions. But as you are giving the history of boils again. Please keep the blood sugar under control. HbA1c 9.4 is high. This is the reason for recurring boils again and again.

Please start tablet Augmentin 625 (Amoxicillin and Clavulanic acid) twice a day for one week, Levocetirizine or Vozet half tablet twice a day for three weeks. Apply T bact cream on the boils. If paining add Dolo 500 twice a day for five days.

Thank you doctor,

Will follow your prescription. For your info, she is following her diabetic medications strictly. During the last consultation with her diabetologist, he has reduced her doses based on the latest lab results. Will revert back to you based on needs, else if lockdown ceases, will consult you in person.



Welcome back to icliniq.com.

Thanks for sending the pictures. (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

Too many boils and infection. Good her diabetes is under control now. After finishing the tab Augmentin, please put her on tablet Microdox LBX 100 mg (Doxycycline) once a day for 10 days. Make her drink lots of water. Summer will increase boils.

Was this answer helpful?



This is a sponsored Ad. icliniq or icliniq doctors do not endorse the content in the Ad.

Also Read Answers From:

Comprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Related Questions & Answers

How to control high blood sugar levels with medicines?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 56 years old. My height is 167 cm and weight 100 kg. 11 years ago, I was diagnosed to have diabetes. The maximum score of my sugar was around 280 occasionally due to uncontrolled eating even with pills (DPP 4 and Metformin). Sometimes, I have overeating problem. My HbA1c is 6.5. My...  Read Full »

How can boils on my chin be treated?

Query: Hello doctor, I started to have a boil on my chin and since I have had one before I decided to use the same treatment as the last time that is apple cider vinegar. When I put the treatment on the boil it did burn which I knew was a sign of it working. But, the day after, the boil did decrease in si...  Read Full »

Please help me lower my blood sugar levels.

Query: Hello doctor, I have diabetes since the last 11 to 12 years, and I started taking medicines given by my family doctor. Presently, I am taking Glimisave M2 (one tablet in the morning and evening), Dynaglipt 20 (one tablet in the morning), and Absolut 3G (one in the evening). My health is fine, and I...  Read Full »

Also Read

Vitamin D and COVID-19
Did you know COVID-19 patients with vitamin D deficiency are twice as likely to have severe complications, including dea...  Read more»
The New 'Super-Spreader' Strain of Coronavirus
A new variant of SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, is spreading fast in parts of the UK. Read how this new var...  Read more»
How to treat my mother's sigmoid colon ulcer?
Hi doctor, My mother, who is 45 years old, has ulcers in the sigmoid colon for the last 15 years. The problem got reduce...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask a Dermatologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: All health Q&As published on this website are not intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek the advice from your physician or other qualified health-care providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website.