Get E-Book on COVID-19

Q. I have a painful boil in my innner thigh with discharge and leaving a hole behind. What should I do?

Answered by
Dr. Zubayeralam
and medically reviewed by Dr. Vinodhini. J
This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 11, 2020

Hello doctor,

I had a boil in my inner thigh for a week now. It started as a pimple then progressed to a painful bump. Two days ago, it started to drain. I have been applying warm compression and Betadine on it. The swelling and pain decreased however, the wound worries me as it now looks like I have got a hole in my thigh. What will I do?

Dr. Zubayeralam

General Medicine Internal Medicine Pulmonology (Asthma Doctors)


Welcome to

I can understand your concern. According to your statement, you have been suffering from a boil in the inner thigh for a week. It was started as a pimple then progressed to a painful bump.

According to your picture (attachment removed to protect patient identity), your boil may become infected. So for your boil, you can take Cefixime 400 mg (twice daily) with Clindamycin 300 mg (twice daily) and apply locally topical Mupirocin or Bacitracin ointment on your affected area. You can take Vitamin C supplements for quick healing and you should undergo some investigations like CBC (complete blood count), RBS (random blood sugar), etc.

Was this answer helpful?


Thank you doctor,

How long shall I take the medicines? Also, do I continue applying Betadine and warm compress to the wound? Do I continue to dress it up with bandage? How will I know if the wound is healing? Will the hole heal and recover?

Dr. Zubayeralam

General Medicine Internal Medicine Pulmonology (Asthma Doctors)


Welcome back to

Yes, you can apply Betadine to the wound and you can dress it up in every other day. In home, keep the wound opened. The healing process will take time. You will watch the difference between the recent wound with the healed wound in the near future. It may take time but hole will be healed and recovered fully. You can take the medications as follows.

Tablet Suprax 400 mg 1+0+1 for 14 days, capsule Cleocin 300 mg 1+0+1 for 14 days. Bactroban ointment 2% apply locally on your affected skin area two to three times daily until it is fully healed. Please continue the above-mentioned medications.

Was this answer helpful?


Related Questions:
I am using Derma MS and kojitin gel for pimples. Is there any better option?
A Patient's Guide to Recurrent Skin Infections (Boils, Pimples, Abscesses)
Is there any permanent cure for recurring skin infections?
Consult by PhoneConsult by Phone Video ChatVideo Chat
Also Read Answers From:

Comprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Related Questions & Answers

What are the remedies for uneven skin tone?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 18 years old boy. I am having very uneven skin tone on my cheeks somewhere it is dark and somewhere it is white. It started about one year ago. What can I do now any remedies or diet or treatment?  Read Full »

How can boils on my chin be treated?

Query: Hello doctor, I started to have a boil on my chin and since I have had one before I decided to use the same treatment as the last time that is apple cider vinegar. When I put the treatment on the boil it did burn which I knew was a sign of it working. But, the day after, the boil did decrease in si...  Read Full »

Why am I getting boils on stomach and back?

Query: Hello doctor, Why am I getting bumps or boils on my stomach and now on my back leaving five black marks on my stomach and there are three new boils or bumps on my back that hurt really bad. How can I make them go away? Please help. It hurts when touched.  Read Full »

Also Read

This article provides you with all the information that you should be knowing about miscarriage. Although this is an emo...  Read more»
COVID-19 Testing
COVID-19 testing includes analyzing patient samples to determine current or past infections with SARS-CoV-2. Read the ar...  Read more»
I feel a restlessness in my legs, which decreases my sleep quality. How to get a refreshing sleep?
Hello doctor, I cannot get refreshing sleep some days in a week, and some days it is good. I also have difficulty sleep...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask a General Medicine Physician Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: All health Q&As published on this website is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek the advice from your physician or other qualified health-care providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website.