Q. I have a painful boil in my innner thigh with discharge and leaving a hole behind. What should I do?

Dr. Zubayeralam

I had a boil in my inner thigh for a week now. It started as a pimple then progressed to a painful bump. Two days ago, it started to drain. I have been applying warm compression and Betadine on it. The swelling and pain decreased however, the wound worries me as it now looks like I have got a hole in my thigh. What will I do?

Dr. Zubayeralam

General Medicine Internal Medicine Pulmonology (Asthma Doctors)
#

I can understand your concern. According to your statement, you have been suffering from a boil in the inner thigh for a week. It was started as a pimple then progressed to a painful bump.

According to your picture (attachment removed to protect patient identity), your boil may become infected. So for your boil, you can take Cefixime 400 mg (twice daily) with Clindamycin 300 mg (twice daily) and apply locally topical Mupirocin or Bacitracin ointment on your affected area. You can take Vitamin C supplements for quick healing and you should undergo some investigations like CBC (complete blood count), RBS (random blood sugar), etc.

| 

How long shall I take the medicines? Also, do I continue applying Betadine and warm compress to the wound? Do I continue to dress it up with bandage? How will I know if the wound is healing? Will the hole heal and recover?

Dr. Zubayeralam

#

Yes, you can apply Betadine to the wound and you can dress it up in every other day. In home, keep the wound opened. The healing process will take time. You will watch the difference between the recent wound with the healed wound in the near future. It may take time but hole will be healed and recovered fully. You can take the medications as follows.

Tablet Suprax 400 mg 1+0+1 for 14 days, capsule Cleocin 300 mg 1+0+1 for 14 days. Bactroban ointment 2% apply locally on your affected skin area two to three times daily until it is fully healed. Please continue the above-mentioned medications.

|