Q. My 11-month-old daughter is getting popping sound from knee to ankle bones. Is it normal?

Dr. Manu Chandarashekhara Bharadwaj

I want to discuss about my 11 months old daughter's leg problem. She has a popping sound from knee to ankle bones. She is not crawling or walking but she can stand with support or run in a walker. Is it normal? or Do I need to be concerned about it?

#

Please mention whether you are sure about the sound arising from the baby's leg. I am asking this because the bone is not calcified in this early stage and it is usually soft but firm. The practice of not crawling is abnormal and walking is not a concern in this stage of the baby. The child's leg has to be examined by a pediatrician or pediatric surgeon or pediatric orthopedician. Please take the baby to a pediatrician and she needs to do an X-ray to know the abnormality. It can be normal and there could be nothing to worry. But it is impossible for me to say sure.

|