Q. When I eat certain foods, I feel clicks and popping noises near the central incisor. Why?

Dr. Ummah Mohammad
and medically reviewed by Dr. Sushrutha Muralidharan

Four years ago front right central incisor pushed back 1 mm. I had a root canal done three months later. I had an X-ray from the dentist and also an endodontist. They said they could not see bone behind the tooth fractured at all. However, when I eat certain foods, I feel clicks and hear popping noises coming from multiple teeth from that tooth. I am going next week to have that tooth taken out that was pushed back. I am worried that it will cause the whole bone wall to crack if that happens. Is it possible for the X-ray not to catch a fracture behind the top teeth on the bone? I have severe anxiety and am worried about dying from an infection. Kindly help me.

#

I understand your concern and shall try my best to get some solution. The clicking and popping you are mentioning might not necessarily be due to the bone behind the top teeth. It might be just due to some movement in your teeth only or maybe if there is some malocclusion. Malocclusion is when the bite and the resting position of jaws are not how exactly they should be. Maybe there is a problem near the bone at the joint in front of the ear, that is, the temporomandibular joint that joins the jaw bone to the temporal bone near the ear. It looks like I have thrown big or worrying words but believe me, none of both possibilities needs to be worried about. Visit your dentist and get an OPG (Orthopantomagram) or full mouth X-ray. It will surely show where the problem is actually. And nothing like whole bone wall fracture is there. Clicking and popping are very regular symptoms unless there is pain. If pain occurs or teeth or bone is very mobile, then you need to worry. Otherwise, relax and get an appointment. Sooner the better.

In the case of TMJ (temporomandibular joint) clicking it will be just adjusted by your dentist, and they will tell you some exercise to follow, nothing much. In case of teeth, mobility splinting or some removable appliance will do the needful. Dont worry a lot, relax and take care. I hope this was helpful.

|