Q. My father has bone tuberculosis with compression. Is it good to have surgery now?

Dr. Rahul Goel

My father has bone tuberculosis. He has compression in D4-D5. He is bedridden now. Currently, he is taking medicine for TB. Is it necessary to do surgery or not? Please suggest.

#

I have gone through the attachment (attachment removed to protect patient identity). This condition is known as pott's spine. There is a presence of tuberculosis in the spine. It is managed by taking ATT (antituberculosis medication). It is not good to have surgery during the active stage of the infection. A spine fixation surgery using rods and screws can be considered once when the infection settles down.

|