Bowel Cancer

Please suggest ways to remove excess abdominal fluid in a colon cancer patient.

Query: Hi doctor, My aunt has colon cancer for the past three years. She has a tumor of 8 cm. As all other organs are not compromised, she stopped with the chemotherapy like one year ago. Now, she has peritoneal pseudomyxoma and ascites. In the hospital, the doctors say that the liquid in her abdominal c...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. She can be given a trial of albumin and furosemide, which is diuretics, intravenously slowly in a monitored setting. They are afraid of the spread of the tumor further by putting needles through the peritoneum. Please, also try oral diuretics meanwhile. Both, Furosemid...  Read Full »

Is my lymph node enlarged due to cancer?

Query: Hi doctor, I have left supraclavicular lymph node enlargement of around 1 cm in size over four months. I have body pain and occasional low back pain. I have pain in areas such as shoulder, right groin, hand under the elbow and sometimes feel difficulties in chest. Only one lymph node got enlarged. ...  Read Full »

Dr. Prakash H Muddegowda

Geriatrician, Hematologist, Pathologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Based on your queries, my opinion is as follows: Lymph nodes in supraclavicular areas are usually due to infection from surrounding areas. Possibility for cancer is if it is enlarging or very hard or if there are other cancer in the body. Usually increasing size in ...  Read Full »

Is blood in stool a sign of bowel cancer?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 30 year old woman. I found blood in my stool this morning, for the first time in life. I am sure that is not period. Is it a sign of bowel cancer?  Read Full »

Dr. Muhammad M. Hanif Md.

Cardiologist, Criticalcare Physician, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I assure you not to worry a lot as things can be settled with proper care and follow up. There are some reasons for fresh blood in stools, with stools, before or after stools other than menstrual blood.First of all, it may be hemorrhoids. You may have felt some dilat...  Read Full »

What causes blood and mucous in stools?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 22 year old female. My height is 5 feet and 6 inches, and I weigh 60 kg. A few days back, after dinner, I passed stools and while flushing, I found the stool to have mucous and blood. When I attempted to clean the anal region after defecating, I found all three tips of my finge...  Read Full »

Criticalcare Physician, Diabetologist, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Medical Gastroenterologist, Nephrologist, Pulmonologist, Rheumatologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Following are the possibilities according to your complaints: Acute dysentery. Piles (hemorrhoids). Inflammatory Bowel Disease. You need to consult a doctor for physical examination. You will need proctoscopy (medical examination of the anal cavity with a thin t...  Read Full »

How to get reassured that I do not have stomach cancer?

Query: Hi doctor,I will be honest and say this is primarily for reassurance from a fear of esophageal and stomach cancer as I suffer very badly from chronic hypochondriasis, for which I am getting treatment for in the form of CBT and on Venlafaxine 225 mg. I am a 43 year old male. I was a social smoker ti...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your symptoms require evaluation as this could be simply gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD), which can cause reflux and stucking of food. Since your endoscopy and biopsy reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity) are concerned, they are all n...  Read Full »