Q. How to remove the excess abdominal fluid in a colon cancer patient?

This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 30, 2016 and last reviewed on: May 19, 2020

My aunt has colon cancer for the past three years. She has a tumor of 8 cm. As all other organs are not compromised, she stopped with the chemotherapy like one year ago. Now, she has peritoneal pseudomyxoma and ascites. In the hospital, the doctors say that the liquid in her abdominal cavity cannot be drained with normal methods because of the density of it. They sent her home to die slowly without any treatment. What can be done to get that thing out of her? I have attached her clinical history for your reference. Please help.

#

• She can be given a trial of albumin and furosemide, which is diuretics, intravenously slowly in a monitored setting.
  • They are afraid of the spread of the tumor further by putting needles through the peritoneum.
  • Please, also try oral diuretics meanwhile. Both, Furosemide and Spironolactone can be used if the blood pressure, kidney function and electrolytes are in a reasonable range. Consult her specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and take the treatment with consent.

For further information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

|